recognize human modelling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
hey Merry Christmas to all
finally i finished the background
the tree at the back are cherry blossom , japanese called them sakura

BG
character

grass

at first i used harifarm(the hair plugin i used for the hair of the character) to make the grass. after finished , i think it was quite difficult to make a good render with other object which i would create later. it is because hairfarm need to render in scanline. while the object like the tree , stone, flower . they need to render in mentalray. this would make the composition process difficult.

so i did some research on some good environment plugin to make something like forest. i used a plugin called forestpack. actually it is a scatter object plugin , that mean a single object u create, like tree, grass etc,it scatters in a define area with multiple control. it is not duplicate the object. each of the object scattered are instance . so it can saved the render time and RAM.

i used the free version which don't have some function, but it was fine still not so important as it is a background. free version can't scatter object on terrain (non-plane object) , no color varation on individual element .for instance, that mean u can't have color variation on each of the leaf on the tree. for a real tree, each of the leaf get many difference. one may be a bit yellow, brown, while others are green . but u can still have some color variation on the whole tree including the leaves, trunk.

tree
for creating the tree, i also checked about which plugin is better. i sure using plugin can get a better control than tradition modelling .there are some default tree template inside 3ds max. they are also have japanese sakura(the title in the template said it is) . but i don't see any similarity between the japanese one with the overall shape. the material is lazy . with only 1 simple alpha .

so i tried 2 free plugin.1 require another program and output to max. but i didn't like the limited of control. another one is a script ATree3D. a simple 3dmax script . run inside max and u get the tree. it makes the tree with spline.the main trunk is the first spline, then scatter another layer of spline with some control like position, direction, size etc. u can have several layers to represent he tree. u can also define with your own object. so u can create the leave or flower or an apple to represent the leaf part. after creating , it become a mesh. with trunk and leaves. but u can modify whenever u want. this is great because i don't need to lose control of each of the layer as it is already a mesh. it is not spline or have some specific modifier on it. i am not sure how it did, may be there is something inside the mesh.

lighting
i spent some time to tune the lighting . actually it was the same sunlight for the environment and interior. but the problem was the shadow. the light position was from left . so the shadow of the tree on the left side covered the tree on the right side. this made the tree become dark when view from camera position.
i can't change the interior sunlight as i did a 180 degree animation to find the best position of the sun . the position of the sun can create a good contrast of shadow and details for interior. so i use 2 different lighting on the background and the interior.i used an skylight ,to make a softer shadow, modify the exposure for the skylight. because of adding these i need to tune the interior lighting to match the background. (but did not changing the sunlight position). then change remake the light for the hair (in scanline render)

12 December 2012
A little early for Christmas?

Nevertheless, good to see you back. I would add Depth of field blur to the background & a little overexposure. The glass is nice, but I am not feeling so much the sukura. The trees seems to come out of nowhere. Maybe one or 2 trees, will be better, instead of a line of tree out of nowhere.

I think the lighting on the character is good now, but I feel the character is little too oily. There is something funny about the left eye. the highlight on the hair look unnatural.

The foreground could used a little details & texture as well, it looks like white clay render at the moment.

12 December 2012
Good modeling and likeness, but the materials need some work because its looking a little like plastic right now. Also, i would introduce a pinker skin tone or some variations in the skin as it looking like a doll and somewhat too yellow. The eyes seem to be lacking something that will cause the eyes to be a brighter shade of brown, and the reflections seems a little odd for this lighting/environment.

As for the background i would abort it and actually model it within the same scene so that the horizon is properly placed it looks as if you are trying to integrate it from a separate scene or something.

what are you using to render? mentalray?

01 January 2013
pose
BG

happy new year

the character was yellowish which i also got this feeling last time , but idk what happen until check again some older file and figure out the linking of map on material broken.
more exposure on BG and remodel the tree

change the character

to PKD
not sure the unnatural highlight on hair u mentioned
i think it should be the fill light make too many highlight

to gyarados
thx for comment
the BG is the same scene as the character . horizon line is fine now .less than the actual horizon line may be a little bit but not obvious for sure
i am using mental ray for rendering

thx PKD and gyarados+
EDIT for wrong link

Last edited by ianlai : 01 January 2013 at 02:37 PM.

02 February 2013
final pose
head
background

tree distribution

spend time on speedtree to build the tree again
actually it is parameter base program, it is good but very difficult to understand and lack of reference and tutorial. want to find a brush base program . generate the tree by parameter and modify by brush.

the tree consist of 300,000 polygon . the flower actually is a group of flower ball made by cross-billboard

hope this time is last update
thx

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread