[WIP] Zeppelin Dreadnought/Airship

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2018
[WIP] Zeppelin Dreadnought/Airship

For fun/practice, I am trying to build an airship I designed (or at least am iterating on as i work through this.) The idea is that its an exploration of what would happen if early 20th century dreadnoughts were built atop a zeppelin airframe to produce flying warships.

My intention is to build this in such a way that i can use this for a small indie game i've been messing with - so i expect to bake this all down into a low poly form as i go.

So far Ive done an initial blockout of the approximate forms that i want to pursue and a quick study, on one of the turrets, of some of the decorations and an exploration of the level of detail i am interested in.

Anyway, I'd love feedback on the design and I am hoping that by keeping this updated i can motivate myself to be more diligent about working on this thing.

Thanks for taking a look!

04 April 2018
I always thought steampunk airships usually don't have a big enough balloon/envelope. Yeah its fantasy but when the envelope is so small compared to all of the stuff built on it, it just looks like a spaceship.

I would suggest making the envelope 4x as big or at least 2x to 3x.

All of the other details look great.

I've made some steampunk airships a while back also. You can see some of them in my portfolio here. Maybe you'l get some ideas.
http://www.lukes3d.com/

I am looking for some feedback on my ship also. Please leave me a comment in return : )
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=43&t=1497314

05 May 2018
Have to agree with the guy above. Design wise everything looks good and nice, but if we look at real world examples there is usually one small cabin that is ~5 times smaller length wise than a balloon itself. Height wise its about 3-4 times smaller. Looking at yourballoon and stuff on it, your balloon should be really massive.
So if its about design, all's well, but if about real world, I would try increasing the balloon toat least 3 times the size as the guy above suggested.

05 May 2018
Thanks for the feedback! Its not meant to be real world/physically accurate - I wanted to keep the flavor of realism but i am more interested in exploring the airborne dreadnought theming/design and not get too hung up on the classic zeppelin shape.

05 May 2018
It doesn't have to be physically accurate, it should just be a little more then now. Not for realism but look better aesthetically. Like I said, alot of steampunk airships just look like spaceships to me without a big enough envelope.

Maybe you could use propellers instead to give it lift or both.

See this airship here. The envelope size is still very unrealistic but its still a bit bigger then yours.

Also when you get to texturing, you might want to make the envelope out of metal instead of traditional silk. Using a metal envelope kind of suggest that there is something very different going on that is giving it tremendous lift (super powered hydrogen? I dunno ) This is especially a good idea for airships with very small envelopes.

reply share thread