reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #166
Pin_pal
Know-it-All

Your full, real name.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglykids
The Investigation part was aimed at KeyCZ for posting a meaningless image from Maxwell.

Challenge on what? The initial challenge was if the frosted dragon can be done properly. Maxwell could and can solve the recent issues as well.

A new challenge should go deeper to rule out all biased approaches imo.

Sorry if I came off snippy. Thought you were talking to me. Cheers.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #167
KeyCZ
Veteran

portfolio
Ondrej Karlik
Founding Partner
Render Legion s.r.o.
Czech Republic

Send a message via ICQ to KeyCZ

Quote:
A proper rendering was shown in the maxwell forum, showing the caustics after 1 hour at SL21.

Least to say its rather pathetic to draw this faulty comparison, I'd suggest to investigate before claiming and assuming wrong cases.

Maxwell could do these caustics well before 2012.

1) read my disclaimer
2) watch your tone and stay polite, please
3) By "reliably render" I've meant "in most scenes with good quality and acceptable render time". 1 hour for a cornell box is not an acceptable time. Of course it is possible to render such caustics with all unbiased algorithms (excluding them requires extra effort - they are "turned on" by default just by implementing the algorithm correctly). It just takes different amount of time for each one of them. The point is, pre-2012 algorithms (bidir, pt, metropolis implementations without manifold exploration) cannot render scenes with SDS paths reliably - PT won't clean up any caustics, BDPT won't clean up any reflected caustics, PPM won't clean up diffuse parts of the scene, and different metropolis flavors will just randomly succeed or fail depending on a scene and its settings. You can try grabbing the VCM and manifold papers and rendering them with Maxwell. I can guarantee you it will fail horribly in at least one scene, if you don't use either of the two algorithms.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #168
uglykids
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Hennies
Digital Artist
Uglykids
Munich, Germany

So what was it you wanted to prove here then, if not : maxwell cannot do it properly?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #169
KeyCZ
Veteran

portfolio
Ondrej Karlik
Founding Partner
Render Legion s.r.o.
Czech Republic

Send a message via ICQ to KeyCZ

Quote:
So what was it you wanted to prove here then, if not : maxwell cannot do it properly?

That there are different types of caustics, some can be rendered with simple path tracing, some need bidirectional path tracing/metropolis, and some are even more complicated and could not be rendered in reasonable time and quality by any render engine, not just maxwell, before VCM and manifold exploration was introduced in late 2012.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #170
Pixelsmack
Explorer
Kevin Quattro
Digital Cinematic Artist
Burbank, USA

Exclamation

I find this challenge pointless. As it does not have a real-world item to compare. Viewing each image on its own is highly subjective. Nearly every one, when viewed alone, could be the best. We are all looking at what we think frosted glass looks like. Classic artist blunder when building shaders and textures. ALWAYS have the real thing to compare to.

What needs to happen is we need to get a frosted glass trinket, shoot it in a proper studio photo-box then run the challenge.

Real-world reference and comparison.

reply share thread