Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Morganrone93
portfolio
Sweden

Edge issue, Maya!

Hello all!

Sadly my first post on this amazing site will be regarding an issue I can't get away from, but hopefully I will become more active as my skill progresses!

So, first issue!

As you can see one edge becomes multiple ones, I tried everything, but this happens every time.. I even followed a tutorial step to step in the EXACT same way to see if I was doing something without my knowledge, but that appears to not be the case!

Second issue!

Edge loop tool doesn't seem to be working as intended, I see the line perfectly adds the edge, bam, it likes to make more edges to random spots all over, I am thinking it is related to the first issue?!

Thanks all for any help!

Best Regards

//Morgan

Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Morganrone93
portfolio
Sweden

Another picture to clarify, see the vertexes? They are all over the place!!

This seriously nags me to hell, takes a lot of time to clean up the randomness that occur all the time!

Thanks for the help!

Best Regards

//Morgan

Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Welcome to the forums!

You might have clicked your edge loops, and accentually hit connect. This will split any edge you have selected in half.

You can try using the weld points tool, or simply just delete your errant edges.

If you attach your obj to a post, I could have a quick look at it and maybe give a better diagnosis. Or if you can save it in some other way so I can open it in Maya 2012.

-AJ

Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Morganrone93
portfolio
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

Welcome to the forums!

You might have clicked your edge loops, and accentually hit connect. This will split any edge you have selected in half.

You can try using the weld points tool, or simply just delete your errant edges.

If you attach your obj to a post, I could have a quick look at it and maybe give a better diagnosis. Or if you can save it in some other way so I can open it in Maya 2012.

-AJ

Hey, thanks for the reply! I semi-fixed this issue in some manageable way by going around my model every now and then deleting stray-vertexes, which seemed to be causing the problem.(even tho I have no idea how they even appear for no reason)

Now I have another problem tho! Whilst using the Interactive Split Tool, Maya crashes when hitting enter.. I also tried using the older Split Polygon Tool, but there nothing happens when hitting enter!

Couldn't attach the obj file to the forum for some reason, so here you go, http://www.mediafire.com/?49smscd3o85t0l3

I am almost considering to make the switch to Blender, the customization options in it really intrigues me

Thanks!

//Morgan

Last edited by Morganrone93 : 03-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Have you been using the extrude tool? There are some places where you have like 3 edge loops right on top of each other. Just clicking the extrude bottom will cause another edge loop to be generated, even if its at 0.

Your mesh is also not connected at the seam. Did you use the symmetry tool? It has an option to weld the seam.

Go into your edit mesh tab, and hit merge. Set the distance to .1 or so. This should clean things up. If merge doesn't clean everything up, export an obj, and turn all off those settings on the side options tab to off. Reimport your mesh, and delete your old one. Sometimes this helps remove corrupted or bad Maya data associated with a mesh.

-AJ

Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Morganrone93
portfolio
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

Have you been using the extrude tool? There are some places where you have like 3 edge loops right on top of each other. Just clicking the extrude bottom will cause another edge loop to be generated, even if its at 0.

Your mesh is also not connected at the seam. Did you use the symmetry tool? It has an option to weld the seam.

Go into your edit mesh tab, and hit merge. Set the distance to .1 or so. This should clean things up. If merge doesn't clean everything up, export an obj, and turn all off those settings on the side options tab to off. Reimport your mesh, and delete your old one. Sometimes this helps remove corrupted or bad Maya data associated with a mesh.

-AJ

How can you tell where the edge loops are? Would be immensely helpful!

By seam, I assume you mean the center line? It's not connected because I want the symmetry/mirror function at the current phase, it was done using Duplicate Special and parenting one side, and that would be lost by exporting and re-importing as far as I know.. But I gave it a shot nonetheless, the stray-vertexes/edges remained!

Thanks for your help so far!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

You can find stacked edges or verts by just clicking on one, and moving it slightly.

You can select an edge loop by just double clicking an edge, or opening up the select tab from the space bar menu.

Try to use merge to get rid of those duplicate components. You might need to turn up the threshold more to get a good result. Also deleting the object history by selecting your object, and then clicking under edit, delete by type, history.

-AJ

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Morganrone93
portfolio
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

You can find stacked edges or verts by just clicking on one, and moving it slightly.

You can select an edge loop by just double clicking an edge, or opening up the select tab from the space bar menu.

Try to use merge to get rid of those duplicate components. You might need to turn up the threshold more to get a good result. Also deleting the object history by selecting your object, and then clicking under edit, delete by type, history.

-AJ

Alright I merged, didn't seem to affect the symmetry caused by duplicate special at all, which I originally thought, but now everything seems to be like it is supposed to! Thanks a lot man!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Morganrone93
portfolio
Sweden

Using this thread again for another issue I am having!

As you can see on the pictures, I get this line when it is smoothed out, both preview smooth and real smooth.. and I am aware you get those when the vertices aren't merged, but in this case, they are! Can't seem to figure out how to fix it

Here is the link for the obj file

http://www.mediafire.com/?49smscd3o85t0l3

Thanks again for all the help!

Best regards

//Morgan

Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

You've got some disconnected faces in your model. Two loops at the hip, an another around the knee. Try using the merge tool to bring those back together. You can also use the merge vertex tool. You can find these types of gaps by clicking on a polygon, and moving it around.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 03-25-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Morganrone93
portfolio
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

You've got some disconnected faces in your model. Two loops at the hip, an another around the knee. Try using the merge tool to bring those back together. You can also use the merge vertex tool. You can find these types of gaps by clicking on a polygon, and moving it around.

-AJ

Hey, thanks for the reply once again!

I used the merge tool multiple times and I checked all over the place, they are not disconnected for me, either it is the obj file that was corrupted or my software is bugging up completely..

Edit:

You said I had 2 loops at the hip, and by that you mean 2 overlapping loops? How do one delete the other one, I tried selecting the entire loop in a few ways, either by box selecting or just manually selecting them individually, can't delete it due it being a border edge!

Edit2:

Problem solved with Blender!

Last edited by Morganrone93 : 03-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread