How to clear the Clipboard in Maya ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2018
How to clear the Clipboard in Maya ?

I've searched for this but can't find an answer that works.

If I open a brand new Maya scene and hit 'Ctrl+V' over a panel, objects from a rig I built a few months ago (in a different version of Maya) get copied into the scene. The Script Editor reports a 'File read' result.

This happens when animating too, if I'm not really careful while copy/pasting keys I get the same junk added to the scene which is quickly becoming a nuisance.

I've tried clearing the Windows clipboard (win 7) but it makes no difference.

So it seems there's a separate Maya clipboard I need to empty but I can't seem to find it, any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Brian

03 March 2018
Found a solution :
If you modify the 'cutCopyPaste' script a little you can use it to find the Maya file that it's using for the clipboard and then delete it which resolves this.

Here's the MEL script to find it in case it's useful :

string $tmpFile = "/maya_sceneClipBoard" ;
string $tmpdir = `getenv TMPDIR`;
string $filePath = ($tmpdir + $tmpFile);

03 March 2018
I've always had that problem with Maya. You try to paste a name into the outliner or paste a couple keyframes, and instead paste a gigantic mess of 2500 nodes that you accidentally copied from a scene two weeks ago. You can't undo it, and cleaning it up is a huge mess (some nodes don't show up in the outliner, like shadingEngines, and some don't even show up in the node editor). It's basically a Corrupt The Scene button, since the only thing you can really do is reload the scene. I've griped at Autodesk a couple times about this, but they don't seem to understand why this feature sucks.

I've started working around it recently too. I edit startup/cutCopyPaste.mel and comment out $option = "nodes" lines, which prevents it from ever pasting nodes.

They really need to make this an option, and disable it by default. It's horrible.

03 March 2018
Yeah it's handy very occasionally when you copy nodes from one file to another and then the rest of the time it's a huge pain as it bloats out your scene file. I've often looked at my scene files at the end of the day and wondered 'why did it suddenly get 5 mb bigger?'..

reply share thread