July 2016 - Jonatan Cwiakalski

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2016
July 2016 - Jonatan Cwiakalski

Probably the first game which I played on computer was "Another World" designed by Eric Chahi. Yes, there was a times when one person could create a game and achieve international success. Well... at least he did that. I was very excited when I found recently 20th Anniversary Edition and I could play it again .

So... this month I would like to create DMP inspired by the first scene from "Another World":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:...other_world.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoth...ld_(video_game)

I always loved mood of that scene - it will be a real pleasure. I'm gonna start working on it this weekend .

Best regards and good luck to all of you!
Jonatan

07 July 2016
Hi Jonatan,

I did not know that game. In the same time, in sega console, I was a master system gamer, not a megadrive, with games like alex kidd.

I am very curious to see how you will turn your reference in realistic image

07 July 2016
I've never heard of this game, but I think its a great choice. I thought mine was challenging but this is by far the most difficult to interpret, but challenge only makes us stronger. I look forward to seeing this develop

07 July 2016
I always wanted Another World to get a cinematic treatment. It definitely had potential. That first monster terrified me as a kid lol, and the tree slugs too! There was something very cool about the rotoscoped animation. Add Flashback and the original Prince of Persia to that list. They were ground breaking games back in the 90s.

David

07 July 2016
Actually it will be so challenging in this month for me, that I might not be able to finish it in July. I hate looking for excuses but reality of time resources must be considered to use it as best as possible. And here is what it is now: this week - completely no time (aaaargh!), next week - no access to computer till Sunday (I almost regret that I'm going on vacation - what the hell is wrong with me?! ), so... we will see...

Nice to see that someone remember Another World. That first monster terrified me too . Especially that - as I wrote - it was probably the first game which I played on computer. I remember that when he appeared on screen with that scary roar, my hands was shaking and I could just watch when he killed me... probably more than once. And tree slugs... they aroused my panic when I approached them . As for Flashback and original Prince of Persia - yeah... these games was great too!

Regards
Jonatan

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 07 July 2016 at 03:04 PM.

07 July 2016
As I mentioned before my time for July's challenge is very limited, so I don't know how far I'll be able to push it forward, but I'd like to give as much contribution to keep these challenges going as I can. Here is my rough concept:

Format is a bit unusual for DMP because I wanted to match the way this game works: basically you move forward or backward (and sometimes up or down).

Regards
Jonatan

07 July 2016
Always love your sketches Jonatan, its nice that you stick to traditional materials. I can't remember the last time I picked up and used a pencil hehe. Looking forward to seeing this develop

07 July 2016
Thank you Aaron!

Originally Posted by DAAZED: (...) I can't remember the last time I picked up and used a pencil (...)

...that makes two of us . The truth is, that all my black & white sketches are done with Wacom tablet and Gimp. And sometimes with mobile and Sketchbook like in this case (I didn't have access to computer last week - It's my vacation time ) :

link:
https://s19.postimg.org/aq3jlazpt/WIP2.jpg

Regards
Jonatan

P.S. I'd wish to have time extender...

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 07 July 2016 at 02:16 PM.

07 July 2016
Tomorrow I'm going for the last part of my vacation. Unfortunately I couldn't put as much effort in July as this theme deserves, but I want to finish it anyway. Especially that I asked Eric Chahi for permission to use his game as a base for this piece and... he kindly agreed! You can imagine how motivating this is!

I'm really glad that you like the idea about continuing this Challenges and you actively participating. I'm looking forward to meet you all in August. I will be off (no access to computer) till end of next week, but via mobile I'll take care of updating themes and votes and creating master thread for August Challenge when voting process will finish.

Live long and prosper my friends!

Jonatan

reply share thread