Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #31
Archangel35757
Expert
portfolio
Michael Lawler
Engineer
Madison, USA

If I recall correctly, the original intent of this post was to find a solution to keep a control object at the end of the bone chain (not allowing it to be moved away from nub bone during animation-- which happens when you constrain the IK Goal to the control object), correct?

@DenisT, I look forward to trying your solution (because I'd like to do this for a rig I'm making)... I guess the drawback to the solution I proposed is that it makes the control object as a child of the bone chain (similar to nub bone) thus embedding it in bone heirarchy-- which is undesirable.

I don't mind that it moves away during the animation process, I just wish it would automatically snap back to the nub bone after I release it with the mouse... I'm sure if I were smarter, a Maxscript solution would present itself.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #32
denisT
MAX Doctor

portfolio
Denis Trofimov
CA, USA

Send a message via ICQ to denisT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel35757
If I recall correctly, the original intent of this post was to find a solution to keep a control object at the end of the bone chain (not allowing it to be moved away from nub bone during animation-- which happens when you constrain the IK Goal to the control object), correct?

I don't mind that it moves away during the animation process, I just wish it would automatically snap back to the nub bone after I release it with the mouse... I'm sure if I were smarter, a Maxscript solution would present itself.

do you mean like this?
Code:
delete objects b0 = BoneSys.createBone [0,0,0] [20,0,0] z_axis b0.boneScaleType = #scale b1 = BoneSys.createBone [20,0,0] [24,0,0] z_axis b1.parent = b0 p0 = IKSys.ikChain b0 b1 "IKHISolver" LockedTracksMan.SetLocks on b1.transform.controller undefined 0 off p = p0.pos.controller = position_list() p.weight[1] = 0 sc = p.available.controller = position_script() sc.addtarget "len" b1.position.controller[1] sc.addobject "par" b0.scale.controller sc.addobject "pos" p[1] sc.setexpression "(normalize pos.value)*len*par.value[1]" d = p.available.controller = b0.pos.controller

the IK control is constraint now... but! this is not a good idea and i will not show how to do it right

Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #33
Archangel35757
Expert
portfolio
Michael Lawler
Engineer
Madison, USA

I don't have access to 3dsMax right now to try your solution... but I'm not suggesting to always constrain the IK Goal to the nub bone. But in all the rigging tutorials I've seen, you create a shape object as a Control Object and either link or constrain the IK Goal to this shape Control Object (usually looks like a gyro gizmo)...

So when you are animating your Control Object, you can pull it away from the end of the bone chain (and the IK follows along...) and when you let go of manipulating the Control Object-- your Control Object (and thus your IK Goal) remain dislocated away from the nub bone.

It would be nice (to me at least) if when you release the Control Object, and if it is displaced away from the chain's nub bone... that it would automatically snap back to nub bone (taking the IK Goal with it).

If you were directly animating the IK Goal and displace it away from the nub bone... it has an option to automatically snap back to nub bone when you click it again (for next manipulation I suppose)-- however, when you constrain the IK Goal to a shape Control Object... you lose this feature-- further, it seems most people dislike directly animating the IK Goal. So it would be nice if the shape Control Object governing the IK Goal would have this automatic snap back feature.

Last edited by Archangel35757 : 02-06-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #34
denisT
MAX Doctor

portfolio
Denis Trofimov
CA, USA

Send a message via ICQ to denisT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel35757
when you constrain the IK Goal to a shape Control Object... you lose this feature

who told you that? that happens only in the tutorials what you talking about.

in many situations you can't stick ik control (or control that controls ik control) at the end of a chain. if you move a character pelvis the feet ik controls have stay where they are.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 AM   #35
Archangel35757
Expert
portfolio
Michael Lawler
Engineer
Madison, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisT
who told you that? that happens only in the tutorials what you talking about.

in many situations you can't stick ik control (or control that controls ik control) at the end of a chain. if you move a character pelvis the feet ik controls have stay where they are.

Yes I know that... I'm talking about when you are manipulating a specific limb itself... not, for example, when you pull the whole body away-- in which case the hands and feet would stick to their controls until you pull the body too far away.

Last edited by Archangel35757 : 02-07-2014 at 05:31 AM.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 AM   #36
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread