Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
peppilepew
Veteran
portfolio
chris callan
kildare, Ireland

need help badly with texturing

Hey guys i just started back into 3d max im using 2013 version and while my modeling is working out fine, my texturing is all over the place.

my first problem is when i add a texture to an object and render it, it only renders a color and not the actual texture, im totally lost on this stuff its bein a very long time since ive used any max and it seems 3d max 13 is a bit different aswell.

my other problem, im looking for maybe a point to a tutorial here more than anything but if i lay down a grass texture on a model how do i then lay down a dirt road/trail over it in certain areas, this is probably very simple but i always had a bit of trouble with textures and its even worse now becuase i forget how to do the stuff i used to lol

any help with either problem would be great thank you guys

Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Do you have your UV's laid out on the model you're trying to texture?

Maybe a screenshot of your model, and it's corresponding material would help.

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
my first problem is when i add a texture to an object and render it, it only renders a color and not the actual texture, im totally lost on this stuff its bein a very long time since ive used any max and it seems 3d max 13 is a bit different aswell.

Screenshots of your UV and your material setup please.
Quote:
my other problem, im looking for maybe a point to a tutorial here more than anything but if i lay down a grass texture on a model how do i then lay down a dirt road/trail over it in certain areas, this is probably very simple but i always had a bit of trouble with textures and its even worse now becuase i forget how to do the stuff i used to lol
You could use blend materials, multi/sub materials or mask maps.

http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutori...82#.UvCZYvDA4s4

Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

You should really look into some fundamental tutorials from somebody like digital tutors to get you up and running. Otherwise you'll find yourself on here alot asking questions about things that are in the Max help files. There are many ways to texture a grassland with dirt/path/etc. It really is up to you to research, experiment, and see what works best for your project.

A good place to start is with scrimski's suggestions.

Last edited by musashidan : 02-04-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
peppilepew
Veteran
portfolio
chris callan
kildare, Ireland

hey guys tnx lot for the replies, ive actually used digital tutors before and i plan to again once i get a bit more cash together haha, i mainly focused on just modeling stuff last time i used that though because i really wanted to get one part down before i learnt something else.

I figured out my first problem last night though i had forgotten to use bump maps-_- so bad haha

and the tutorial linked by scrimski is what im looking for i think.

Thanks alot for all your help guys was a big help

Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread