Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Maya doesn't have anything that comes close to the power or user friendliness of replicators in modo. I have tried pretty much every scatter script I can find for maya that is out there.

If you have V-Ray, VRayScatter for Maya goes pretty good. Just bought it last week.

Testing it out on an old scene at the moment and I can move that ground mesh, extrude faces, merge verts and modify the blue distribution curve and the instances update instantly. (I have several million in the viewport as dots, but there but there is hardly any lag even with an ancient 9600GT)

Found a couple crashes so far but when you know what they are its quite solid, I reported them and they found it so hopefully a new bulid can fix it soon - beats the pants off Maya's particle instancer. Might be worth looking into.

But Sppaint3d is still needed for manually placing "hero" instances.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

^I find on my 580GTX that the viewpoint runs like a dog with more than a few thousand 'regular' instances...how many instances via Vray Scatter can you comfortably run?
I'm definitely looking at it as an option.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #19
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Whatever you needed as you can scatter any number of instances, but choose to show however many you want in the viewport (from 0 to whatever number you needed and have the choice of bounding boxes, points or wire boundind box). It's pretty much exactly the same as VRayScatter for 3DS Max but missing a few features from Multiscatter.

I ran 10 million of instances of hi poly grass under 10gb of RAM during rendering on a few tests, translation times were pretty good (under 10 seconds).

I haven't used it in a production yet or batch rendering, or even animations, just at home on some old scenes, but so far I'm quite happy with it.

Its like Maya's using particle geometry instancer, but done right and on steroids. Like most of this thread, I agree in that Maya should have a tool like this or Replicators since ages ago.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
Lone Deranger
And yet not insane
Lone Gardener
United Kingdom

Don't forget guys, Autodesk bought/licensed Disney's XGen technology some time ago, which is known for it's scattering/instancing prowess. That in combination with Scene Assemblies is bound to bring interesting new possibilities to Maya.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #21
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Deranger
Don't forget guys, Autodesk bought/licensed Disney's XGen technology some time ago, which is known for it's scattering/instancing prowess. That in combination with Scene Assemblies is bound to bring interesting new possibilities to Maya.

Just rediscovered this thread...not on 2014 yet but has anything much come of this?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
klaudio2u
Expert

portfolio
Klaudio
Croatia

Yeah, i'm also interested if anyone have tried XGen for scatter stuff and perhaps if it's possible
to do something close to replicators in Modo.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread