Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #31
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Dr. R. D. Charbonneau A.Ph.D.
Astrophysicist
Charbonneau Arts & Research
USA

Do you think the OutletPC price is a good one? What are the odds the price will come down in a few months? It appears it has already reduced a bit.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #32
oblio9
portfolio
Jerry
Centennial, USA

It's really probably only worth worrying about that when you are looking to buy. If you live near a Microcenter they usually have the best prices on processor/motherboard combos. If not it's worth looking around online. Amazon, NewEgg, etc. When it is time to buy look at price to performance. I think Tom's Hardware does some value comparison's so you can get the most for your money.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #33
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-E8500-P...+core+processor

I was looking at the G41T-M5 MoBo manual and it says it will take an Intel Core 2 Duo Pentium. Since it has the LGA775 socket, do any of you think this upgrade would work in the board? If so, will it be an improvement or a waste of money?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #34
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Upgrading to a dual core at this point would be a compleyte waste. 4 cores should be the minimum for consideration.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #35
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

Even though it's going up over 3 Ghz and increasing the cache by 2Mb? (Also... ulterior motive is I have another G41T-5M MoBo that's doing nothing and might be good as a utility machine ) You don't think I'd get any noticeable performance increase at all?

Old 09-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #36
oblio9
portfolio
Jerry
Centennial, USA

For $68? Why not. It isn't a bunch of money and should be a better processor. I think only you can really say if it is worth it. I don't know that it will be mind blowing but it is better than that Celeron. If you have $70 you don't mind burning, go for it. If you build your own or money is tight that is $70 you could put toward a much better system.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

The money for the much better system comes next year. My thoughts about buying upgrade components is sort of like "get 'em while they're hot." Sooner or later their availability could be not. For instance I haven't seen any DDR(1) memory around for quite some time, but have an old machine that could use some and some programs and data on the machine are still handy to have on that machine. It makes a nice security type utility machine and I picked it up at a library sale for $75 about 4 years ago. It has no drivers for the onboard audio, so isn't good for much else. Getting a sound card for it would be like finding one in a rummage sale... and I rarely go to rummage sales.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #38
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

This is the latest. Some of this is pretty much unbelievable, but here goes...

I did purchase two things. I bought a DVI/VGA adapter for the second monitor. I also bought an Intel Duo Core 8400 (3.0GHz w/ 6Mb Cache) for $48. All arrived ahead of schedule.

I went back to my work area where I have an aluminum plate surface for ESD protection grounding. I went to hook up the second monitor Tuesday, after we had a torrent of rain the day before, and shrieked! The 1st monitor's vga plug was wet! Brown liquid. When I'm working on a machine I often place the keyboard on top of the tower and this was one of those times. The liquid was in the keyboard, too. I have a few leaks in my roof, but never there. I went ahead and installed the adapter. I hadn't turned the machine on since the last time I posted to this thread; nearly a month. I did right then. It didn't.

Till today, I was kicking myself for not anticipating such a possible leak. I suspected the PSU might have blown its fuse. Today I removed it and opened up the PSU. All looked normal. Fuse is okay. Connected it back to the MoBo and peripherals. Tried it. Nothing. Then I noticed the connector to the power switch was disconnected and I hadn't pulled it apart. Even more weird, the connector to the HD was connected wrong, when normally I tag in there with the main power switch. Because the area where I live has quite a few idiot savants whose skill is to be a sneak or a burglar, it had me wondering. I'm dismissing it all as simply errant perception on my part, even though it's possible for a real skinny person to get into some areas where I'm doing home improvements. I mean sheeeeesh! I have 7 foot high privacy fences surrounding 3 sides of the property.

So much for that puzzlement. I haven't had time to install the 8400 yet. What are the opinions as to whether I should expect improved performance?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #39
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

That 8400 is a low-end mid-range cpu, about two-three times slower than my aging i7 920. It should do okay with most things, but do not expect great performance. For rendering it's pretty bad: compare Cinebench 11.5:
8400: 1.7
my i7 920: 6.1

An Intel 3930k sits around 10 - and can easily be overclocked as well.

More importantly, to improve the opengl performance you ought to read this:
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum...ngl+performance

All consumer Nvidia cards starting with the 5xx series no longer support double-sided lighted polygons in Blender, and this really slows down the viewport. To improve the overall performance read the tips in the forum post above.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #40
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

Ohhhhhh were you guys soooooo wrong about the HDTV being used as a monitor. I finally had the chance to try it this morning. The other PC decided to give me a fit again this morning, so I tried it with my Acer laptop. I can't describe it as anything except sweet. No. The colors are actually brighter and the TV lets me adjust all that if I so desire anyway. FYI, this is an Emerson 32" LCD HDTV flat screen. The Acer lets me use it as a second monitor in "extend desktop" mode, so I can have more screen icons. The laptop actually produces a better HD picture than the TV station. Might just have to get one of those Rabbit TV doo dads.

And the moral of the story to remember?

Wherever you're at,
There you are.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #41
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Quote:
I upgraded the G41T-M5 to 4Gb RAM and added a Galaxy GT620 2Gb RAM graphics card.

The GT620 is the lowest-end graphics card from the 600-series. It should be no surprise you've got performance bottlenecks. That card is great for MS Office or maybe Photoshop, but for 3D... You really couldn't do much worse. No offense, but that's certainly a huge bottleneck.

As for using a TV instead of an actual monitor... Well, that's rather ridiculous, but if it's keeping you working then keep at it! Just don't expect any precision, print compatibility, or decent imaging from it.

Really you need the proper tools for the job. There are many such proper tools, but you've listed none here.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #42
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

620 isn't going to cut it, eh? Well there are a number of possibilities stemming from that. I could be certain it recommended graphics, but I can go a bit deeper (no pun intended), buy a better card, knowing the Galaxy cards works in my machine, and use that one in some other machine. I'm planning to upgrade the OS to 64bit before too awful long. Beyond that I wouldn't mind getting a better card.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #43
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Ultimately it has to be up to you to decide what parts to buy, its your machine and your budget, we dont know your financial situation etc. But I have to say, whilst the parts you have picked will work, they are all the absolute bottom end minimum possible to run the software. In car terms, its like telling us you plan to go camping with the wife and three kids and will need to tow a trailer... and then informing us youve just bought a 700cc fiat micro car to do it with. Whilst it will technically work, its on the absolute border of what will work and give you the worst possible performance.

eg. $60 would have bought you a nice fast 4-core 3.8ghz amd cpu, instead youve saved the price of a big mac and fries and gone with a cpu which is less than a third of the speed. The same goes for the gfx card, the 620 card is the absolute pits, its so slow that many of the 620 dont even need a fan to cool them. If this is genuinely as far as your budget stretched, then fair enough, but I think its best to inform you that spending a tiny fraction more would net you a substantially better machine.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #44
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

Casually low budget for now. My guess? After the dilemma that yes, fortunately, is a new roof leak, I'll start investing a Ben every month, 5 Bens once in a while and by the end of next year I should have 3 or 4 decent machines around here to do a lot of decent things with, so detailed opinions are always welcome. I figure I'll just keep looking for bargains and this seems to a good thread to refer to.

Thanx

Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #45
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread