Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
Kiwi2703

portfolio
Viktor Mada
Bratislava, Slovakia

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
If you want to upload a stripped down version of the maxscene with only the room/curtains/clock and lighting setup I could take a look at it for you.

That would be very nice of you!
Here is the file: http://mysharegadget.com/file/79808...6770caa4a05d/cs
Thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Finally got a chance to have a quick look at your scene. The fact that you're not using a gamma workflow or any kind of a physical setup is just a huge,huge mistake for this kind of a scene. I would strongly advise the use of a lwf with exposure control. Aside from this, the main problem is geometry of the walls/ ceiling. It is single-sided faces with the normals facing out. This is a big problem with gi bounce light and the simple fix is to just apply a shell modifier on walls/ceiling models.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
Kiwi2703

portfolio
Viktor Mada
Bratislava, Slovakia

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
Finally got a chance to have a quick look at your scene. The fact that you're not using a gamma workflow or any kind of a physical setup is just a huge,huge mistake for this kind of a scene. I would strongly advise the use of a lwf with exposure control. Aside from this, the main problem is geometry of the walls/ ceiling. It is single-sided faces with the normals facing out. This is a big problem with gi bounce light and the simple fix is to just apply a shell modifier on walls/ceiling models.

Thanks for taking a look! I have already thought about the single-sided walls and tried putting another wall right outside the original wall - the light behind the clock disappeared but the weird "light spots" around the windows were still there...
I am not so advanced and sadly don't know what you mean by gamma workflow and physical setup. Also I am not sure If I understand correctly the lwf with exposure control. Would you be so kind and explain it to me? Thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

for probably the best explanation of LWF(linear workflow) have a look here: LINK

I set up your scene quickly with a vray camera with adjusted exposure. A vraysun for direct light shining through the windows. For the light outside the window I put a vray plane lights outside each window and set them to skyportal. My Max system gamma is already set for vray. Irradience map as primary GI engine(although I would set this to brute force for final renders) and light cache for secondary engine.

Lastly, and most importantly, to completely get rid of the weird blown-out spots on the windows/curtains/clock, select the wall geometry and the ceiling geometry and apply a shell modifier. And also, move any geometry that intersects the wall(the clock)

Having done all this(which took no longer than 5 mins) the white spots where completely gone. Any other noise/blotchiness will be down to your image sampler and GI settings.

Last edited by musashidan : 11-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
Kiwi2703

portfolio
Viktor Mada
Bratislava, Slovakia

Thank you very much! I will try it as soon as I can.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

No problem. Hope it works out for you.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
Kiwi2703

portfolio
Viktor Mada
Bratislava, Slovakia

I've actually found the fix for this I just turned off sub pixel mapping and clamp output and everything looks fine now

Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread