Fibermesh to maya curves (script)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2012   #31
I hadn't the chance to try it on osX, but yes, it should work.

Old 02 February 2012   #32
V1.7
I updated the script with a different "tolerance picking".
Previously, I choosed fibers to be discarded according to zbrush creation order. This way, under some circumstances like a high number of curves to be created, caused the generation of bald areas.
Now I added the option to pick fibers randomly, instead of using a predefined pattern.

I left the option to choose the previous method ("ZB Creation Order"), as I suppose it should better work with a few amount of fibers (I could be wrong though), but it could be completely removed in the future, if a certain amount of users will report me it as useless.

The Random picking offers a seed field too, so you can try different results with the same amount of curves.

Hopefully Pixologic will come with automatic generation of curves in the next release. Anyway I will continue to give support to edit and create curves for hair and fur systems.

Cheers

Old 02 February 2012   #33
What would be a way to import curves into Zbrush for fibermesh?

Old 02 February 2012   #34
In zbrush 4 r3,Pixologic will come with automatic generation of curves

Old 02 February 2012   #35
It's in my ToDo list.
I am on vacation this weekend, but I'll dig into it on Monday.
I can't check now, but there should be basically two ways:
1) extruding a profile for every curve, converting every nurbs tube to polygons and the combine them in a unique mesh. You can't do it manually though, as you should do it for loads of guides, so it needs to be scripted.
2) Attach a pfx to your hair system, and converting it to polygons. This is something you could try by yourself, I will be more precise when I'll be back.

Last edited by BluEgo : 02 February 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Old 02 February 2012   #36
Many thanks for the recent updates and your continued efforts!

Btw, is it possible to have the curves centered on the individual fibermesh strand geometry along its entire length? I have not tried in newer ones, but with an older version of the script, I noticed the curve is located on one of the 2 outside edges.

Cheers!

Old 02 February 2012   #37
exactly: currently the script generates the curve on one side of the fibermesh, as this way it is 2X faster.
While this usually doesn't impact the general appearance of the the guides, as fibers are usually really narrow, I see your point though, as you could have some wide stripes to be textured with a stencil texture.
I will add an option to choose between the two methods.

Old 02 February 2012   #38
Sweet! That sounds great!

Cheers!

Old 10 October 2012   #39
BluEgo

Could you make those 2 videos available for download on vimeo or just post to youtube?

http://www.screencast.com/t/QNdUFqxowG

http://screencast.com/t/KwrSq5PLee

Thanks.

Old 11 November 2012   #40
hi, after i paste this command to script editor and press execute p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } import fibermesh_to_curves as ftc

ftc.fibermesh_to_curves(guiMode=True)

it gives me this error message:

# Error: ImportError: No module named fibermesh_to_curves

please help me :(

Old 11 November 2012   #41
Originally Posted by maytha: hi, after i paste this command to script editor and press execute p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } import fibermesh_to_curves as ftc

ftc.fibermesh_to_curves(guiMode=True)

it gives me this error message:

# Error: ImportError: No module named fibermesh_to_curves

please help me :(

Sounds like you forgot to download and put the script in the scripts folder.
Usually the script folder, for windows 7 users, is here:
C:\Users\yourAccount\Documents\maya\scripts

Let me know

Hey trashtalk, I should have followed your suggestion.

EDIT:
I just added a small feature to the script: select only the guides close to the vertices of a mesh or a nurbs surface.
This is useful if you want to filter only guides that are close to the vertices of the scalp.
I found it nice to have a better distribution of the guides, if you want to keep a low number of them. Sometimes I subdivide the scalp mesh once to obtain a higher number of vertices as sample.

Last edited by BluEgo : 11 November 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #42
[QUOTE=BluEgo]Sounds like you forgot to download and put the script in the scripts folder.
Usually the script folder, for windows 7 users, is here:
C:\Users\yourAccount\Documents\maya\scripts

Let me know

after i tried for many hours trying and trying, the script works already.. thanks alot for the script.

however i have a question, i selected my hair system then go to nHair> paint hair follicles option box,
do u know why the paint mode and follicle attribute is grayed out?

Old 11 November 2012   #43
Originally Posted by maytha: after i tried for many hours trying and trying, the script works already.. thanks alot for the script.

however i have a question, i selected my hair system then go to nHair> paint hair follicles option box,
do u know why the paint mode and follicle attribute is grayed out?

Not totally sure what's happening, as I don't have maya 2013 installed.
I can only suppose that nhair, as ncloth, has its own panel and tools, different from classic hair: so, if you try to paint nhair follicles over classic hair, you can't.
But as I said, I could be totally wrong

Another thing I can think about, is that maybe you have nhair in scene, but it's not attached to a "scalp" mesh. Check if the hair guides follow the base mesh.

Old 11 November 2012   #44
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread