3ds max 2013 vs 2014 vs 2010

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03 March 2014   #31
I agree that max2014 is good.
But this guy is fat...

                  Memory usage(KB)  Start-up time(second, HDD:7200rpm)
max2014             881.076                143
max2012             573.404                 87
max2011             559.972                 85
max2010             381.712                 70
max2009             283.476                 41
max2008             234.180                 38
max9                   179.104                 38

See below for further details.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=6&t=1142689
 
Old 03 March 2014   #32
3dsmax 2014 empty scene takes about 558.632k on my system.
Startup time is about the same like previous version 2013/2012.

I should mention that using the enhanced Menue and Ribbon may take more ram.
They are both WPF based and allocate memory on the managed heap of the dotNet-framework.
__________________
Meli

Last edited by MGernot : 03 March 2014 at 04:22 PM.
 
Old 06 June 2015   #33
15 seconds to open max 2009
almost 1:30 minutes to open max 2016

I am using windows 7, 64 bits and SSD
 
Old 06 June 2015   #34
Originally Posted by stenionet: 15 seconds to open max 2009
almost 1:30 minutes to open max 2016

I am using windows 7, 64 bits and SSD


Old thread, but start to actually USE Max 2016, you will see windows optimize startup times for it, because it optimizes them for actually used applications.
But Max 2016 has surely more "fat" to boot up, but gives you more for that. It will take a few seconds longer to boot up than Max 2009 in the end. Be sure to not boot up with the ribbon open, thats one of the most boottime eating resource
__________________

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio
 
Old 06 June 2015   #35
Originally Posted by stenionet: 15 seconds to open max 2009
almost 1:30 minutes to open max 2016

I am using windows 7, 64 bits and SSD


On my system 3dsmax2016 takes 23sec to boot. That INCLUDES loading Ribbon.
__________________
Meli
 
Old 06 June 2015   #36
I would be more concerned by features and bug fixes than loading times. As of now, I don't recommend using Max 2016 in production, wait for the 1st update. I myself have reported more than 30 bugs and performance issues (the dreaded groups slowdown being one of the worst!). 2014 is still the most solid recent release and I would advise if you don't need a specific feature only available in 2016, use 2014 instead.
 
Old 06 June 2015   #37
Keep in mind that for a big enough and busy enough render farm, longer load times == longer render times. I would be happy to see work done in this regard. There is really no excuse when you consider something like Blender loading up in a few seconds.
 
Old 06 June 2015   #38
Originally Posted by lo: Keep in mind that for a big enough and busy enough render farm, longer load times == longer render times. I would be happy to see work done in this regard. There is really no excuse when you consider something like Blender loading up in a few seconds.


Startup times are pretty good. Even more so consecutive startup times, which would affect render farms, which aren't rebooted too often. My Max 2014 startup time is about 20 secs from cold, and 15 secs after that (until i reboot my machine ). And this is on a Machine with NO SSD but a fairly old 1GB system drive ( but plenty of RAM )

And i think it's technically not really fair to compare it with blender, which is a pure, selfcontained application ( selfcontained, in the sense that it does'nt interop with a gazillions techs on the machine or providing many3rd party appl interop via DLL's).
It would be an interesting task to strip Max down to the minimum, non Autocad/Revit related bare bones.
__________________

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio
 
Old 06 June 2015   #39
Originally Posted by spacefrog: Startup times are pretty good. Even more so consecutive startup times, which would affect render farms, which aren't rebooted too often. My Max 2014 startup time is about 20 secs from cold, and 15 secs after that (until i reboot my machine ). And this is on a Machine with NO SSD but a fairly old 1GB system drive ( but plenty of RAM )

And i think it's technically not really fair to compare it with blender, which is a pure, selfcontained application ( selfcontained, in the sense that it does'nt interop with a gazillions techs on the machine or providing many3rd party appl interop via DLL's).
It would be an interesting task to strip Max down to the minimum, non Autocad/Revit related bare bones.


Regarding interop/Autocad/Revit/whatever, why would this even be loaded at startup? Isn't this the whole reason deferred loading of dll's was added (in max 2012 was it)?
 
Old 06 June 2015   #40
Originally Posted by lo: Regarding interop/Autocad/Revit/whatever, why would this even be loaded at startup? Isn't this the whole reason deferred loading of dll's was added (in max 2012 was it)?


I don't think they are fully loaded. But deferred loading stills has to interrogate and open the file ( access the file and check that it's even a valid PE Code structure, read in the basic PE code signature etc ... )
But the longest part i bet comes from booting up the dotNet framework and even more so all the ribbon XAML parsing wih all the external icon loading etc...
__________________

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.