WIP TOD course of Matte Painting with David Luong

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #16
Sky replacement test

In the completion of this week i post results of the replacement sky. I got a lot useful information. I understand that it is basis of technique, and not so difficult. But this knowledge changed my views at photosop, and collor correction. Thanks alot!

before

after

Last edited by captwin : 09 September 2013 at 09:46 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #17
Home Work: Day for Night

before

after

Last edited by captwin : 09 September 2013 at 07:00 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #18
WIP:Update

Hey evrybody!
I still don't have the warrior, but i finished do a tree. I have been spending about week for work on this one . I made collor correction in common for picture. But the tree is still poorly installed. I still have been working on. I'll grateful for any criticism.

Old 09 September 2013   #19
Nice extraction and color correction

Originally Posted by captwin: In the completion of this week i post results of the replacement sky. I got a lot useful information. I understand that it is basis of technique, and not so difficult. But this knowledge changed my views at photosop, and collor correction. Thanks alot!

before

after

Old 09 September 2013   #20
Backlit...

Watch out for the lighting when you add a new light source such as this moon in the back

Originally Posted by captwin: before

after

Old 09 September 2013   #21
WIP Update

Originally Posted by seemaschere: Watch out for the lighting when you add a new light source such as this moon in the back

Seema thanks a lot for your feedback. Unfortunately i didn't have enough time for quick answers, but i value your notices and i'll try to use them in my work. I centred on finalizing my matte and creation animation at now. Therefore i have to postpone my homeworks for time. I'll remake day for night task a bit later.

Ok, this is my matte 2d in Photoshop.

and my animation test for 2d plates in After effects.

Old 10 October 2013   #22
Update. I need advice.

Hey everybody! I'm running forward a bit. I changed mountains on BG, at now they drawn in CG. And warrior was shooted on green screen. So, i have some problem with picture

At first my attempts for camera projection in nuke wasn't crowned with sucess.
Objects in scene was disappearing when i was adding new objects through merge function. I think May be was too big measures of objects (i used real world scale) or may be too large textures (those ones was about 8000Х4000 in Targa format)

I decide make Camera Projection in 3D Max separate for FG, MG and BG. I saved .tga sequences with Alpha channel. Then i made composition in After Effects and added fog on a water, haze and set up collor correction

At second i added building and it doesn't fit for picture a bit. May be for this one need to add some objects. May be collor correction doesn't match. I don't know.

May be leave picture without buildings. But BG without buildings looks empty..

I don't know what i'll do. I need advice from another point of view.

Last edited by captwin : 10 October 2013 at 05:02 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #23
Sorry for replying a bit late.
I think you've made lots of progress in the shot, but there are still a few issues to address.
The tree doesn't feel too integrated at the moment, maybe you can try matching the warm lighting of the grass it's sitting on to the tree.
The bg mountains have a strong contrast and the buildings seem to be getting lost a bit. Try to give it stronger lighting, but also keep in mind that since these are BG elements, they are more hazed out. The white of the snow is a bit too strong.
Try lifting the green out of the soldier more as well.
nice work

Old 10 October 2013   #24
Hi Seema! Thanks a lot for your remarks! I'll try fix my work and upload results when i'll be able. Things are moving ahead)

Old 10 October 2013   #25
else one update

Hey folks! I changed foreshortening for tree, added buildings group, to guide out attention in center of composition. I set up Color Correction for improve color balance. Seems it looks much better. What do you think?

Old 10 October 2013   #26
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread