Anatomy Critique please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Anatomy Critique please

Hey guys!

I need your help. I've been working for this model for quiet a while now but I still feel there is something wrong with this sculpt. The model doesn't feel natural to me so I'm basically looking to see if anyone can spot anatomy mistakes.

Thanks in advance!

hi res: http://nylan5.files.wordpress.com/2...anatomy_wip.jpg

Last edited by Reyanar : 11 November 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Generally the model is very good. Where did you study anatomy?
Male ectus abdominis is not as wide as with females. Then over pectoralis major you should have a hole over clavicle, if he has little fat. Also look for fat pad under knee from behind (not front), you can look up for fat tables in the Goldenfinfer's "Human anatomy for artists". I think his sternomstoid should be more soft in the middle, it kind of wraps around the neck, having angle there.
Carefully look at rectus femoris form, it's usually straight in the middle. Also look for tensor fascia lata, it seems somehow forgotten.
The spine of scapula should go as concavity. Of course it can be partially covered with fat, but as you go for a little fat male, it should be very prominent.
Serratus anterior goes from one point - scapula lower end, so all the blades go from that direction. It's always more developed than external oblique.

Last edited by mister3d : 11 November 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Thanks for the feedback mister3D. As for anatomy study, I watched anatomy tutorial from Gnomon and some of Ryan Kingslien stuff plus I bought couple of anatomy books.

About the rectus abdominis, this always confuse me. In my anatomy books, it always shows that the rectus abdominis suppose to be narrower like how you fixed my pic. But when I look at real life reference, it always look really wide.

About the hole above the clavicle, can you explain that a little more? I didn't really that.

I got everything that you said other than those two.
Thanks!

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Originally Posted by Reyanar: About the rectus abdominis, this always confuse me. In my anatomy books, it always shows that the rectus abdominis suppose to be narrower like how you fixed my pic. But when I look at real life reference, it always look really wide.

It might be they are altered in photoshop, or they have pretty developed muscles, which ar beyond the norm. Of course, people are different. I think the rule of tumb this muscls is hald the width of the torso in that area.

Originally Posted by Reyanar: About the hole above the clavicle, can you explain that a little more? I didn't really that.

Sorry, I meant under, not above. Where clavicle goes and connects with with chest muscle, you can see there's a concavity of a triangular shape.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Originally Posted by mister3d: It might be they are altered in photoshop, or they have pretty developed muscles, which ar beyond the norm. Of course, people are different. I think the rule of tumb this muscls is hald the width of the torso in that area.

Sorry, I meant under, not above. Where clavicle goes and connects with with chest muscle, you can see there's a concavity of a triangular shape.

Thanks man, your correction helps me a lot. I'll update the image as soon as possible.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread