Muscular Male Torso (First Zbrush Sculpt)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Muscular Male Torso (First Zbrush Sculpt)

Hello!

This is my first ever zbrush sculpt. I then moved the mesh to Maya and rendered in Mental Ray. There has been no texture, or UV work done yet. Any and all comments are welcome!

Old 10 October 2012   #2
did you start from Zsphere?

Old 10 October 2012   #3
I started with Zspheres, and then converted to Dynamesh.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
It;s a pretty good start! Although in the end you might want to take it over to Maya for the rednering, zBrush has a good renderer if you just want to check out your mesh. It's hard to see the detail with the lighting. You should post up another either with a good lighting set up in Maya or just throw together some lights in zBrush, that way we can see all the details I know the body is stretched backwards, but the abs still seem a bit long compared to the pectorals, again it's hard to see because of the lighting though. Hope to see more soon!

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Originally Posted by jameshodgart: It;s a pretty good start! Although in the end you might want to take it over to Maya for the rednering, zBrush has a good renderer if you just want to check out your mesh. It's hard to see the detail with the lighting. You should post up another either with a good lighting set up in Maya or just throw together some lights in zBrush, that way we can see all the details I know the body is stretched backwards, but the abs still seem a bit long compared to the pectorals, again it's hard to see because of the lighting though. Hope to see more soon!

Zbrush is quite capable or lighting for preview, as you need hard lighting for this.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Originally Posted by mister3d: Zbrush is quite capable or lighting for preview, as you need hard lighting for this.

What's the better workflow? I know zBrush has a kick ass renderer I always just assumed it was good practice to take your model into another 3D package for rendering?

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Originally Posted by jameshodgart: What's the better workflow? I know zBrush has a kick ass renderer I always just assumed it was good practice to take your model into another 3D package for rendering?

Not while you're sculpting definitely. Later why not. Zbrush renderer became better, but it's just for previewing in my opinion.

The lighting which is now in the image is very flat, and therefore it's hard to see any details. I'd change it to 1 source foe now from the up and side.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
You need to do a fair amount of work to get a decent render in Maya or Mental ray.

I think you can download some light setup or make your own.

If you use the default light & render, without altering any setting, it will looks bad, no matter the quality of your model work.

I use Zbrush exclusively for modeling, & some texture work, & never really bother with the rendering/lighting part, but I think zbrush stock materials are good enough for showing the details when you are working.

But I think rendering in Zbrush is getting more popular due to Polypaint, especially if you do not want to spend a lot of time unwrap UV (especially terrible if your mesh is high poly), or make & link normal/displacement map in a rendering software.

I guess for character it is ok, but I for a scene, I think at the moment, maya, max, or a delicated renderer is still better, with the GI & more controls, and if you are more technical, you can play with more fancy shaders & coding.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
I completely agree! I will get a better still within Zbrush for a better view/lighting setup. I am more familiar with Maya and the rendering capabilities there! I will get some better shots with better lighting and re-post! Thanks for all of the feedback so far!

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread