Schools for an IE Resident

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2011   #1
Schools for an IE Resident

As of the moment, i have two options i am looking into for an art school. My current circumstances is i do not have a car and am living with my folks to help them from time to time. I reside in the inland empire in southern california and my first option was to consider the art institute of california - inland empire sense it is close by, however i am looking into online art school as well and was looking into animation mentor. Obviously AM is very much more affordable then AI and being on-line with classes is simple enough in that regard. Considering the fact i have heard and read more bad issues with AI then anything good, i would like to think that AM seems the better and more realistic option under my circumstances. All i ask is some healthy advice as to what i should be shooting for here. Thank you much.

Old 04 April 2011   #2
Hey man, speaking as someone originally from the IE, I feel for you, and I would say thats a good call you made by not giving in to convienince and simply attending AI, . I'd also avoid AM at least for the time being. I don't know how old you are, and obviously I don't know your situation with your family, BUT, I would say first things first, before you start paying a lot for school, you gotta up your art skills. And for that I would HIGHLY reccomend taking art classes at RCC RIVERSIDE campus. They've actually got some really good teachers in the department, including 1 and maybe even 2 now that used to teach at Art Center. Check out Robert Jew's drawing/painting/illustration classes, and Dana Mason for figure drawing (especially if you want to get into animation you gotta have a bunch of that). Hell, the school probably even has some animation/3D classes as well. Take advantage of the low price, get some general ed stuff out of the way while your at it if you plan on transferring. Just spend some time getting better and don't stress about not being at the level you want, just keep working. If you don't have the patience and focus to wait another year or two (if your lucky) to get scholarship level with your stuff in the first place, then your never gonna make it through school and into an industry job anyways.

Good luck. And if you don't already have a blog, or sketchbook or website on one of these sites, get one, and don't take days off if its really what you want to do.

Old 04 April 2011   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread