Upnodes: explanation required.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Upnodes: explanation required.

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and so I'll be straightforward.
I'm a student in 3D animation in Paris and we are looking at bipeds now for a bit - we discovered the bone tools some time ago, and it's going great. I really enjoy animation and rigging.
But here's the issue. The LookAt constraint is unavoidable and used all the time on bones.

As it happens, I don't find the documentation very explanatory on how the upnodes work (even though, it technically does explain it) and why we sometimes pick this or that as the axis or the targets. It's confusing and I'm the type that need to understand the whole process to properly use a tool.
We're making legs and arms now, but I'm not too confident in rigging the bones' constraint every now and then, even though I apply what our teacher says is right, I don't understandhow it worksor why we do it like that.

I don't find much threads on the internet about it, and even though I could watch at a lot of tutorials, I just need this specific explanation rather than going through a whole "How to rig [whatever limb you're into]" video.
Could someone make a drawing to be very explicit on the how and why? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

reply share thread