Boreas Research Facility

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Boreas Research Facility

A group of researchers have made camp and set up a research facility on the distant planet of Boreas. Little is known about the planet other than its perpetual sub-zero temperatures, mountainous terrain and randomly powerful winds; these attributes have made it difficult for scientists to retrieve any additional data.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Be more concise in how you're painting the snow collected on the various surfaces. Too often I see people paint them as if they're semi-transparent smudges, when in fact, they are quite solid. Whether they are thick snow or powdery snow that hasn't collected into thick snow, they are very well defined with sharp edges--never soft and fluffy and blurry as many people tend to depict them.

Take a look: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...g.UjX13t OrLmo

Old 02 February 2013   #3
the fact that snowflakes are seen getting blown off the mountains... looks like its an anthill x[ put few flakes right in front of the screen, not that far where you wouldnt see them normally

Old 02 February 2013   #4
I really like the detail on this, and I can see where you lead our eyes up the point of interest. I also like the warm/cool approach you took and the cool shadows on the warm building help mesh it with the atmosphere.

I think the most off putting thing about the picture is the size of the mountains. They're not that big. That door to the building in the bottom left is approx. 1/11th the size of the mountain. If that is the case, the mountain is only about 77ft tall. The average two story house is 87ft tall. That's a pretty puny mountain

I know it is an alien planet, but if you are going to describe it as "mountainous terrain" those mountains need to blow up 1,000x. (Aspen Mountain is 11,211ft tall).

Try making them so big that they pass the border of the picture so you can't see the tops of them. Really make it look like your only looking at the very very bottom of the mountain.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread