Paint skin weights tool suddenly stops working

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Paint skin weights tool suddenly stops working

My current project is turning into a right mess... First the blend shapes wouldn't work, and now the Paint Skin Weights tool just decided to stop working. At first, it worked just fine, and I got most of my weights down. Now, when I was about to finish it, it all went south. When I start it, I don't even get the color overlay, and the brush circle is crossed over when I move it over my character. However, if I create a new joint and a mesh and bind them, it works on that mesh. I've been wracking my brain for several hours now trying to sort this out, but I can't seem to find any solution to this :S

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Yeah, that tool has all kinds of bugs. I'm not a big fan and usually use ngSkinTools as a replacement. However sometimes I have no choice.

I think from what you describe, that maya is not able to determine what skinCluster is deforming the surface. This sometimes happens when there are blendShape deformers in the history. I usually work around it by inserting another shapeNode just after the skinCluster.

ie create polyCube (no history), connect skinCluster.outGeometry to pCube.inMesh, paint weights on the pCube (which now looks like the orginal mesh, minus any post skinCluster deformers).

David

Old 11 November 2012   #3
It will keep switching to "post", .. but you need to keep it on "interactive". Check it constantly. Its messed up and will switch back. (Normalize weights on). And always use 'add'.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread