Rendering Paint Effects through Backburner crashes instantly

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Rendering Paint Effects through Backburner crashes instantly

I've got some pfx strokes on some hair output curves. I converted them to polys, and combined the mesh leaving history on. It's just some animated growing tentacle things, renders fine on my workstation, but as soon as I send it to the farm all the computers trying to render it crash instantly. Anybody else have this problem?

My current workaround was to make a script that duplicates the mesh every frame, then keys visibility on and off so that its a new mesh every frame, but this is bad because I can't get the motion blur info, and my file size is now HUGE.

01 January 2013
Whats the error exactly that you get?

01 January 2013
I get error code 1 from the backburner window, no errors in the script editor though. I know it has something to do with the paint effects because I deleted everything one by one and resent it until it didn't crash, and it was the paint effects geometry that was crashing it.

01 January 2013
Is there any caching going on? like offline geometry cache on the converted PaintFX stuff ?
Are you rendering on a network with BB or is it still locally on your main computer?

01 January 2013
I cached the hair simulation which I thought was causing the problem, but I deleted the cache and the problem still happened with the hair system disabled. I am rendering on the network. It works fine on my computer its just when I send it through BB to the network, it crashes all the computers including mine.

01 January 2013
Ok.. then I don't know
I thought maybe the caches might not be available on the farm or something but thats not it...

Have you tried a simple test?.. Like creating a new paintFX and go through the process of converting to geo/caching and send it to BB, see what happens..

If even that crashes.. I've afraid this whole thing of yours might not work. :(

01 January 2013
Yeah I did try just a simple curve with paint effects on it that was converted to polygons, and that was working. It wasn't growing however, and I hadn't combined it. Unfortunately the thing that is crashing is my own project and I don't have much time to test and work on it because of actual work, but worst case scenario is that I render it with my current method, then just don't get the velocity pass, and just let RSMB do the motion blur by guessing.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread