Poison Ivy, Diane Özdamar (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2007
Poison Ivy, Diane Özdamar (2D)

Title: Poison Ivy
Name: Diane Özdamar
Software: Photoshop

Hi people !

Finally, I've finished my entry for the Poison Ivy Challenge runned by Pamzylove on deviantart.

I've spent a lot of time on it, I don't like this colour scheme so it has been very challenging. I must have redone the face and hands at least 500 times....
I hope you'll like it :)

Feel free to comment and crit! (I don't think that I'll edit it though, I'm tired of painting her...except for minor edits)

No reference used, except for the poison ivy leaves, I've at looked at some photos of them using google image to see how they looked like.
I'm trying to learn to paint without references, I think that it's a good exercise. I'm not totally satisfied but it may be a matter of time and practise :)

The anatomy must be totally off but I've really tried... I'll do better next time!

Photoshop CS2, wacom intuos 3A4
40 hours approx.

07 July 2007
Nice lady! Dangerous!
The colors are greate...i like this compementary colors! Greate work!!!

07 July 2007
looks very nice, love the strong coloring
4 stars

07 July 2007
nice details and coloring is perfect. great job

07 July 2007
Thank you very much maxxxw, Imperial1983 and ario Your feedback is much appreciated!

07 July 2007
Amazing colours .. I love her red hair ..
Really looks great ..

07 July 2007
Thumbs up

The color scheme is quite striking, as is the entire piece.
I was curious about your comment regarding reworking the face repeatedly and not using reference. You are wonderful at creating a vision that is both believable and yet fantastic. It would seem that finding source material, particularly the face and hands, with similar lighting and position to what you had in mind, may help in getting to where you'd like to take a project with much less struggle.

07 July 2007
Thank you very much Artist-Lounge And PaulAbrams!

@PaulAbrams : I'm actually trying to avoid using refs... I've always used them in the past and I would love to be able to paint without refs because I have the feeling that I'll never be able to paint without them if I don't stop now ^^ Thanks a lot!

07 July 2007
Brilliant colors ..
It's great that you don't rely on references ..

07 July 2007
It's also hard But I would really love to be able to paint without refs... I'm studying anatomy in order to improve, I still have a lot of work to do to be good at it though ^^
Thank you!

07 July 2007
Really great use of colour! Love the little details like the dragonfly and poison vial. Beautiful. 5 stars from me.

07 July 2007
Thank you very much Efberg!

07 July 2007
Beautiful...

This should have gotten a CG Choice Award!

07 July 2007
*blushes* I don't think so... I'm not really satisfied with it, there are tons of issues (I couldn't choose if I wanted to go for a realistic or not realistic piece, so there are some style issues : leaves, body, etc..., some anatomy issues, and the colourscheme could have been better) Thank you very very much though, your kind words made my day! *hugs*

07 July 2007
you're too modest...

The painting is really beautiful...I especially like the glitter on her arms and the way you depicted the eyes. The leaves casting shadows on her skin is a nice touch. She's much lovelier than Uma Thurman in the horrible Batman movie, (although Uma was *uber* cool in Kill Bill).

Thread Closed share thread