Frame selected stops working for some reason in Maya 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Frame selected stops working for some reason in Maya 2013

Hi Guys,

Is anyone else having this problem with 2013? My frame selected (f) stops working randomly on some scenes I am working on. If I make a new scene it starts working again but I can't get it to work in the scene it stopped working once it stops working short of selecting "frame selected" drom the camera drop down menu in the viewport or making a mel script button in the shelf with the command. Any idea how I can go about fixing this?

I tried resetting the keyboard shortcut from the hotkey editor but that didn't work.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Ive had problems with framing and orbiting things with the perspective camera for some reason on certain files. I noticed that new cameras I created in the scene were fine, but not persp. Later we found that freezing the transforms off the persp camera fixed it..

Old 03 March 2013   #3
I will try freezing transforms next time it happens. Thanks man!

Old 03 March 2013   #4
This is a known issue and no one seems to know what causes it or how to fix it. It's irritating as hell

Old 03 March 2013   #5
I'd wager it's related to the prefs resetting itself and breaking hotkeys. My god that is annoying.

I was forced to write a windows batch script to backup my shortcuts twice a day. And a script on the desktop to replace the broken shortcuts

Although I believe DJX found the solution to it a while ago, he might pop in here hopefully.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
he didn't fix it actually. I tried his script hack and it didn't do anything for me.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
It happens to me on 2012 too, but it works again
when I go full screen on that view

Old 03 March 2013   #8
i-d you rock!
I just ran into this problem for the first time today and it was driving me crazy...it was happening in the graph editor and was making it impossible to work. Full screening that panel did the trick.
Thanks for posting!
~Ben

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Yeah I've noticed the single panel fix for that too.
The question I have is why does this make a difference? Does anyone have a theory on why hot keys would function differently in those two situations? Or even better a way to reproduce it?

It seems to me like it's been happening since Qt was introduced and in my experience it only happens for certain hot keys. Most still work, but not "f" (is it just "f" or have people had different hot keys fail?). Maybe it came when the Hotkey Editor system got that revamp which caused a few other problems with hot key assignments?

I'd love for this bug to be fixed.

Last edited by 3Dmonkey : 03 March 2013 at 08:37 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Ya, AD wants to fix this too but no one can figure out how to reproduce it to figure out what causes it

Old 09 September 2013   #11
Thumbs up persp - frame selected

Freeze Transforms (on the default persp. cam.) didn't work for me, but Reset Transforms did!

Old 04 April 2014   #12
So strange.
Has been doing this since 2012.

I can't frame my cameras, graph editor, or hypergraph or anything. I think Maya loses track of which is the active view after a while of being used, so "f" has no effect.

If you find "frame selected" in the menu of whichever panel, it works because you're telling it explicitly what panel you want. If you blow up the panel to full screen, it works because there are no other views. If you tear off a copy of the panel, it works. Finally, if you shift F for "frame selected in ALL views" it works because you're telling it explicitly you wanted all views... however, on mine, that DOES throw up an error after it is done saying there is no active view.

Last edited by HenningK : 04 April 2014 at 01:17 AM.

Old 04 April 2014   #13
I was getting somewhere and it crashed, so I have to wait for the bug to happen again.
I now think the problem is duplicate modelPanels, named the same thing. Somehow, after using it a while, you can get duplicates and this confuses maya.
For example, if I try with code to make a modelPanel active whose name is not unique (eg: modelEditor -activeView modelPanel4; ), I get an error telling me the name is not unique. I can use deleteUI modelPanel4 to delete the panels I'm using that are duplicates (for some reason I can delete them even though their names are not unique ). When I get back to a basic panel layout with no duplicates, my f key works again...

Old 02 February 2017   #14
THe same comand of "frame salected" work perfect in scrip editor, but the same comand put in user and asign to a shorcut fails and just frames all. Thenk you AUTODESK for craping MAYA!

reply share thread