Beowulf Revisited

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 09 September 2014   #46
There is of course Tintin....and another Tintin coming too I think?

Though this is stylised heads here...what did folks think of Tintin?

Old 09 September 2014   #47
I felt Tintin was the closest anyone had come (up to that point in time) towards doing what I had in mind.

But the "Haddock Noses" got in the way I think. Also the lighting was so realistic that there were times the stylization came off looking like prosthetics, particularly with that Opera Singer woman.

Tintin himself though, the character, looked great in almost every shot. Though you can argue he was the most normal looking one in terms of stylization.

Personally (and that's only personally), I believe you can stylize lighting as well in these things. But Tintin definitely has helped the case for animation without singing animals and song numbers.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 09 September 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Old 09 September 2014   #48
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I felt Tintin was the closest anyone had come (up to that point in time) towards doing what I had in mind.

But the "Haddock Noses" got in the way I think. Also the lighting was so realistic that there were times the stylization came off looking like prosthetics, particularly with that Opera Singer woman.

Tintin himself though, the character, looked great in almost every shot. Though you can argue he was the most normal looking one in terms of stylization.

Personally (and that's only personally), I believe you can stylize lighting as well in these things. But Tintin definitely has helped the case for animation without singing animals and song numbers.

Post production comes into things in such a major way nowdays though..... that, I think I understand what you mean about stylized lighting....take for example the Playstation 3 game Journey.

The lighting or image colour can be completely changed....and we now see many films that are very blue looking....but cinematographers are going to have different lighting styles too as individuals.

My wife was saying to me how she felt everything in Tintin was stylized....and my reply was "everything?....well its just the characters really"....but I then thought about it and looked at it again....and it does have a distinct look to it....the textures I think have been stylized on those wood panels...its difficult to describe how exactly....but the hallway floor too also looks the same way....this combined with the lighting / post production image tweaking all adds to a look.

Old 09 September 2014   #49
Originally Posted by mjdowswell: Post production comes into things in such a major way nowdays though..... that, I think I understand what you mean about stylized lighting....take for example the Playstation 3 game Journey.

The lighting or image colour can be completely changed....and we now see many films that are very blue looking....but cinematographers are going to have different lighting styles too as individuals.

My wife was saying to me how she felt everything in Tintin was stylized....and my reply was "everything?....well its just the characters really"....but I then thought about it and looked at it again....and it does have a distinct look to it....the textures I think have been stylized on those wood panels...its difficult to describe how exactly....but the hallway floor too also looks the same way....this combined with the lighting / post production image tweaking all adds to a look.

TINTIN had this HDRI-Hyper-real look to it. But what I mean by "realistic lighting" was that I felt ... and this was by the time it got to the "Big Crane Fight" scene... that basically the film had many tones.. the desert tones... the night time shots... the opera scene....

But basically there was this feeling I had that... considering TINTIN's original source and how the originals were painted... there was "too much respect for the real world". A lot of the color choices reminded me of the kind in Ron Howard films....

I did understand the logic though, because the drawings for things like buildings and cars in the comics were more detailed than the loose lined humans... so there is an interpretation there - and Spielberg was very strong and consistent with that.

I've felt at times though, that maybe something a bit more "posterized" would have served TINTIN well.... but like I said the film did have brilliant parts - a lot of them in fact.... That and I thought the Tintin character himself looked good all the time.

Definitely though a step up to BEOWULF, where instead of wondering how it could be better, I was left wondering why it felt off.

But yes.. this was sort of what I was thinking.. that you could stylize something and still sort of "slip under the radar" with people thinking: "That's realistic!".

Have you seen the YouTube comments of people saying: "The characters in the Tintin movie look so realistic!" Really? They are? Of course they're not realistic. What they are taking in is the motion... and the volume/silhouettes character's occupy... and probably the feeling that the world is lit, with objects that react closely to light as if in our world.

However, I've felt one could go more off the deep end and still get away with it.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 09 September 2014 at 07:59 AM.

reply share thread