MoText - color by word?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
MoText - color by word?

Hmm ... bug, limitation, or am I going mad? I want to use the mograph color shader to color a line of text by word and not by letter. When I put the shader effector (with gradient) in the motext's Word tab, I see the desired result, i.e., each word has a different shade of gray. But when I drop a material on the motext object with the mograph color shader in it, I get a single shade (white). If I drop the effector in the letter tab then it works properly.

So ... wassup with dat?

http://www.3danvil.com/temp/color_by_word_fail.c4d

Old 08 August 2013   #2
working fine here..

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Thanks, Paul. It seems it works if you put the material on the shader effector, but not if you put it on the text object ... which seems odd.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Looking at this again it seems that the shader isn't doing anything in your scene, Paul. It's just the shader effector working directly. If you put the color shader in a colorizer, for example, you'll see that it's not working. That's a problem if you want to use different material channels, or the multishader.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Thats how it works. An index is stored on each object and simply read and converted to a color via the mograph shader. Its was all very cruddy and primative but it still works and doesn't look like its been touched since I wrote it.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Originally Posted by tapaul: Thats how it works. An index is stored on each object and simply read and converted to a color via the mograph shader. Its was all very cruddy and primative but it still works and doesn't look like its been touched since I wrote it.

But in this case it doesn't seem to work, i.e., the mograph shader isn't reading the per-word color values assigned by the effector.

Old 08 August 2013   #7
I'd say this is a bug, you can clearly see it if you make
the MoText Object editable, then the colorizing per word
is visible and renderable.

Last edited by typografschaft : 08 August 2013 at 01:52 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Originally Posted by typografschaft: I'd say this is a bug, you can clearly see it if you make
the MoText Object editable, then the colorizing per word
is visible and renderable.

Agreed. I'll report it.

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread