This is kinda scary... 3D DNA portraits

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
This is kinda scary... 3D DNA portraits

This artist collects samples from the street containing the DNA of strangers (like a piece of gum) and uses it to make a 3d representation of that person (barring age). Kinda creepy to think someone could, unbeknownst to you, collect your DNA and hang a sculpture of you on a wall somewhere.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/...nted-portraits/

Old 05 May 2013   #2
When i read your post i was like "What?! i though they couldnt do that yet??!"

Then i scrolled down the article to see the genetically derived self-portrait of that artist with herself included in the photograph. Seems i was right, they cant do that, yet...

Old 05 May 2013   #3
I read that the only information should can accurately retrieve from the DNA is hair colour, eye colour and ethnicity but that is it. Everything else about their appearance is complete speculation on her part, which is no doubt why so many of the faces look the same.

Lets face it (sorry), if she has developed a program that can create an accurate likeness from recovered DNA then it will completely revolutionise police work.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Guys, its nonsense.

Either a joke, or a misrepresentation of the project which, quite frankly, looks to be done in Facegen.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Yeah, that's where the art project part comes in.

You can get a lot of clues but there's so many other factors in how someone develops there's really no way to actually do that.

It's cool as an art thing though, thought provoking at least, which I'm sure is the goal.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
No of course not, most of this technology is still in it's infancy and it's more conceptual I suppose, but still the idea of the portrait is based on YOUR dna without your knowledge. No one is saying cyberdine is taking over tomorrow, but the concept none the less is something to think about.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
As an art exhibition it's at least an engaging concept. Realising the technology doesn't exist (and may never) doesn't stop it from making an interesting comment about the impact of technology on our lives - it evokes a response. My only thought was that the execution seems a little blah, which is a shame.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Very interesting even if it only guessing atm.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread