Storm Tracer & DeGamma for R14

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #16
A new version is out 1.39.04 which fixes several critical bugs. All customers should download this new version from their download locations.

Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Yep, definitely the right version. I'll ping over any crash logs as I get them.

Thanks

Hi,

If you are namep2 on the Third Party Forums, then thanks for the reports! I was able to reproduce the bugs and they've been fixed in the new version 1.39.04.

Old 01 January 2013   #17
Slight amendment, the new version is version 1.39.05, please be sure to download this version if you are using Cinema 4D R14. You can check what version you are currently using by going to Script->Console and checking the printout there.

Old 01 January 2013   #18
Just to add to this Storm Tracer 1.39.06 is now available, this version adds several improvements to Surface Sampling and Bump display as well as fixing a couple of critical bugs. All R14 Storm Tracer users should upgrade to the latest version using their pre-existing download links.

Old 01 January 2013   #19
There´s only the "Storm Tracer 1.39.05 update" to download (mac).
Missing the new one!

Best regards,
Thomas

Old 01 January 2013   #20
Thanks for changing :-)

Old 01 January 2013   #21
And another update to Storm Tracer 1.39.08 avaialble right now (and all customers using C4D R14 should update to it as soon as possible as it contains a lot of bugfixes).

Quote: I'm pleased to announce the availability of Storm Tracer 1.39.08 for immediate download.

This version fixes numerous bugs as well as adding in several new features including:

Support for MoGraph particles sizes when using the Matrix Object as a source for Storm generation.

Support for Cinema 4D's inbuilt Linear Color Workflow (warning this may result in changes to your renders as a result if they have LCW enabled).

Rewritten shadow allocation core resulting in dramatically improved handling of Shadow tags especially when working with many particles resulting in substantial speedups.

Improved Storm Shader rendering speeds.

Further reductions in memory usage and general speed gains.

All existing Cinema 4D R14 customers are advised to upgrade at this time using their existing download locations.

Old 01 January 2013   #22
Great update! Thanks!

Old 01 January 2013   #23
Playing around with 1.39.05 tonight and noticed to my surprise that you support R14 physical dof, which saves me learning Kratatoa. But anyway, motion blur doesn't seem to work. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but do you plan on adding support for motion blur down the line?

What does "Rewritten shadow allocation core" change about the current light setup?
I'm looking for a way to slightly better illuminate the particles and for them to cast shadows on one another, but not sure if this is possible.

Last question. Does the Color texture in Storm tracer support the Camera shader?
I've tried but again, can't get that to work as I'd hoped.

Old 01 January 2013   #24
Hi, the shadow allocation has been rewritten to only result in a single allocation pass for the particles, rather than allocating per shadow map, this results in significant time savings when rendering, especially scenes where the allocation may take some time (a few million particles generated by the l-system cloning for instance).

Physical motion blur support isn't currently planned for this generation of Storm Tracer, but you never know.

With regards Storms casting shadows onto other storms set up your lights with Storm Shadow Tags (this works best when the light is a spotlight, otherwise it only generates a shadow along its own spot cone) and check the options in the illumination tab of the storm post effect, ther you can set up bump or normal mapping, illumination model and whether the storms cast or receive shadows. This should allow you to achieve whatever you want.

Also you should update to the latest version from your download link.

Old 01 January 2013   #25
Thanks Per, I can easily fake it in post, but it would be a welcome addition.

Last question, quite specific to the current project I'm working on. I'm trying to avoid moving over to Max and Krakatoa, especially when storm tracer has the potential to work for this current task.

I'm rendering a scene with shading/lighting etc. Afterwards I'm deleting all faces and allowing Storm to render the points (100k+). I'd like to project the sequence of images from the standard render and have them drive the storm particle color channel via a frontal projection mode. But it seems when I use the sequence of frames as the color channel, the results aren't mapped as expected. Is this possible to do? Something I've overlooked?

Old 01 January 2013   #26
How are you doing this? The standard way would be to use storm shader in SUrface Color mdoe, and then enable surface color sampling with "freeze frame" enabled (then disable the rendering of all the objects after the frame that you pick to freeze on).

If it's driving color via a texture, you could use mograph matrix object to drive the particles color and positions, or I could add a mode to the storm shader to sample a secondary shader (and projection) for one single pixel to give particles just a single color, otherwise it will project the texture through the storms.

Old 01 January 2013   #27
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread