Is Blender Actually Hard to Learn?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Tiles: That's what UI design is about.

Hey Tiles,

I've played a little bit with Bforartists and I have to say: Congratulations!

it's amazing that one guy is doing alone what people have been asking the Blender foundation for years.

Some suggestions and comments:

1) I think the standard navigation should be the Maya style Alt+Mouse buttons. I say this because that's the most common navigation standard in 3D. It's used in Maya and Cinema 4D and it's a popular option in Modo and 3ds Max as well. It is also used with some modifications (no Alt key but same buttons) in After Effects and 3D Coat. So I think that by itself would make Bforartists even more artist friendly. (I know you can change to a Maya style navigation, like in Blender but then I fear I'll lose some context menu, etc...)

2) Cinema 4D could be a benchmark for you in terms of UI. There are two things that I think you could implement just copying Cinema 4D. First, four menu buttons to quickly change between Object Mode and the three Edit Modes (Vertex, Edge and Face). In Cinema 4D you can do this just with one click. In Bforartist takes two click: you have to select the Edit mode and then select the element.

3) Second, it would be nice to have a contextual modeling menu in Edit mode like in Cinema 4D. For example, when in Edit Mode and Right-mouse is clicked, a contextual menu with all the modeling tools (e.g. extrude, cut, etc...) appears. This is super fast in Cinema 4D, faster than using the Hot Box in Maya (or the Pie Manu in Blender). I'm not sure how hard would be to implement this but would be great.

Anyway, congrats again for the amazing job!
  3 Weeks Ago
Thanks for the kind feedback and the suggestions.We will have a look what we can do

But keep in mind that there are some limits. How to switch modes is one of those things. We rely at the underlying Blender code. You cannot simply change the way Blender works. That would be a complete rewrite, which is out of scope. And so we still have to live with more than one quirk and oddity.

The biggest limit is the manpower. When you want to help, every helping hand is welcome. For working at the keymap for example you don't need coding skills

For the navigation, I find the Bforartists navigation with mouse only more comfortable. To hold an additional key feels odd to me, and would slow me down. But you can already now use Maya style navigation. Blender and Bforartists comes with a Maya keymap. Switch to it in the Splash screen, save startup file, and you should be good to go.

The caveat is, this Maya keymap is disfunctional here and there. Partly because it was already partly disfunctional in Blender, and never fixed. And partly because our changes have added even more flaws that we fist need to iron out. A cleaned up Maya keymap will be developed in the nearer future. Here we are at two things though, the manpower, and this is a job for somebody who knows Maya. I don't know Maya, unfortunately.
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games
Die deutsche 3D Community:
  3 Weeks Ago
Out of curiosity, are there any video tuts on getting started, modelling, with Bforartists? I've never used Blender, so, from all that I'm reading here, it would be good to start with *it* directly, instead of normal blender...?
  3 Weeks Ago
Yes. We have a Bforartists youtube channel. There's a quickstart tutorial series which is already even linked in the software.

The quickstart series starts here:
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games
Die deutsche 3D Community:
  3 Weeks Ago
Oh thanks thanks thanks!
reply share thread