Rigging a hose?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Rigging a hose?

I'm trying to rig a hose (lots of hoses), that need to be fixed to a dummy at each end. I need to be able to link the dummys to geometry that is both moving and rotating. So the hose should remain perpendicular to the connection for 0.1m or so and then start to bend.

I've had a little play with the IK spline & Hi solvers (for the first time). The spline solver gives me funny results and it looks like the hose is stretching rather than simply bending.

The HI solver looks good, ie. it maintains it's length provided it's not pulled apart, but as far as I can tell you can only rotate one end of it. And I'm not sure how I'd link spline points to it.

Anyone got any pointers?

Old 06 June 2013   #2
There's a hose helper object, you could try that.

edit:
it's not a help, it's an extended primitive object.
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/13/...Number=d0e23428

Old 06 June 2013   #3
General Rigging Questions

Thanks for the reply - It's a shame I didn't see that before. Some hoses are fairly simple so it would have done the trick - others need a bit more control.

Anyway - I've used the spline IK for now - some look better than others but it will do for now.

I have a couple more rigging newbie question (I probably should have named the thread differently) - Is there a straight forward way to prevent your look-at contraints from twisting when they pass the zenith? This is all pretty new ground and I never got to the bottom of it when I did the tracks on my current WIP.

Also another area that I'm not sure how to do, how to add the second pivot point as per this image? Currently the bucket won't move with the pistonas it's second pivot is not rigged and I'm not sure how to.

Post number 8 on my WIP thread (below) has a solution - can anyone explain this a little?

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Quote: Is there a straight forward way to prevent your look-at contraints from twisting when they pass the zenith?
You'll need to assign an upnode for the Look At Constraint. Check the manual for more details.

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/13/...umber=d0e183862

Quote: Also another area that I'm not sure how to do, how to add the second pivot point as per this image? Currently the bucket won't move with the pistonas it's second pivot is not rigged and I'm not sure how to.

Post number 8 on my WIP thread (below) has a solution - can anyone explain this a little?
No idea abou #8 but here's how I'd do it.

Create two bone chains(red from #1 over# 2 to #4 and blue from #3 to #4). Leep the small bones at the end.. Create a helper at #1,#2,#3 and #4.
Link the helpers at #1 and #3 to that big chunk of geometry.
Create an HI solver for the read bone chain, link the IK target to the helper at #4.
Link that helper to the small end bone on the blue chain.Link the root bone of the red chain to helper #1, the root of the blue one to helper #3.
If you move the end bone of the blue chain, everything else should follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rig.jpg (75.1 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by scrimski : 06 June 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Thanks for the in depth reply. I think the IK solver was meant to target dummy 2 rather than 4.

It's working now - this is quite fun actually!

Last edited by MisterS : 06 June 2013 at 11:50 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Regarding the rigging of the hoses - I get this error message when opening my scene file:

spline IK cannot be assigned to the selected non-shape object

and my bones and IKs end up all laid out on top of eachother in a straight line at 0,0,0

The geometry however still moves as expected and the dummys that the IKSpline created have remained in place.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
SOLUTION - delete and start again!

Next problem: Is it possible to limit the rotation of a root bone (Opposite end of the little bone)? I have used a HI solver and have used the skin modifier on my spline.

Movement looks good apart from at the root where the rotation needs to be fixed.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
You can limit a rotation by using a Limit Controller or directly in the IK settings in the Hierarchy Panel.

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Any idea why some of my spline IKs keep screwing up? They end up at 0,0,0...

I get this message:

"spline IK cannot be assigned to the selected non-shape object"

Old 07 July 2013   #10
No idea.
The object is still a spline? It's the only object with a spline IK modifier, you didn't appleid another one to a non-shape object accidentally?

Old 07 July 2013   #11
I've been isolating my spline - then drawing bones and adding the solver - I could have made a mistake. Guess I'll try again. Are you aware of any tutorials that cover this?

I've used a combination of Spline and HI solvers - depending on which looks best but neither are working exactly as I want.

Old 07 July 2013   #12
Are there any do's and don't with regards to rigging splines and xforms and symmetry?

Old 07 July 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread