Extrusion Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 05 May 2014   #1
Extrusion Question

Is there anyway I can select a circular edge loop and then extrude outward? I have seen this done in other packages like in this video with the eye at the beginning

but when I try it Silo just sits there and does nothing.

Old 05 May 2014   #2
I think you just select your desired circular edge, hit extrude and hit scale and use the center of the gizmo to scale in all directions.

LH

Old 05 May 2014   #3
When I do that it just does a normal scale. No extrusion.

Old 05 May 2014   #4
Which section of the video are you talking about? I was looking at 0:06-0:09, where they select the ring of edges and extrude outward. This is exactly what happens when I do what I described above. Is there a different effect you are hoping to achieve?

LH

Old 05 May 2014   #5
is this what you're after?

It works as lhumungus said.

Old 05 May 2014   #6
Hmmm. If I use a cube and do it like you just did it works. If I try to do it with a plane or by making a loop with the edge tool it doesn't.

Old 05 May 2014   #7
Check your edge, move it around. You might have extruded it in place by accident. Break apart the piece you want to extrude from and try again. Shell the piece and see if there are garbage polys. Subdivide a couple of times, if there are spikes, its time to clean up the mesh.

:P

Is this what you mean by edge tool?

Last edited by outburner : 05 May 2014 at 06:31 PM.

Old 05 May 2014   #8
In totally unrelated news, Google Chrome blocks me from visiting clandestinestudio.com, including loading your gifs. It claims malicious software is being hosted there, or "Over the past 90 days, clandestinestudio.com appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 1 site(s) including clandestinestudio.net/"

Perhaps it's time to scrub the servers?

I can send you screencaps of the messages.

LH

Old 05 May 2014   #9
Originally Posted by lhumungus: In totally unrelated news, Google Chrome blocks me from visiting clandestinestudio.com, including loading your gifs. It claims malicious software is being hosted there, or "Over the past 90 days, clandestinestudio.com appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 1 site(s) including clandestinestudio.net/"
Perhaps it's time to scrub the servers?

Got the bastard... Trojan:JS/Redirector.NT (26 instances).... cleaning everything now!!

EDIT: all clear now. Google warning should disappear the next 24h.

Last edited by outburner : 05 May 2014 at 03:01 PM.

reply share thread