BB - An Unexpected Error has Occurred...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #16
Update: found the log file, the right one was in a different place than I thought initially.

That's what it says when the crash occurs:

2012/10/12 18:31:02 DBG Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 reported task error: An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.
2012/10/12 18:31:02 ERR Task error: An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.
2012/10/12 18:31:02 ERR An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.
2012/10/12 18:31:02 DBG Exit Application

I then uninstalled Vray (removing the plugin paths form plugin.ini still allowed it to load, had to uninstall), but got a crash again, log excerpt:

2012/10/12 19:08:07 DBG Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 reported task error: An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.
2012/10/12 19:08:07 ERR Task error: An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.
2012/10/12 19:08:07 ERR An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.
2012/10/12 19:08:07 DBG Exit Application

----
Mike, sorry for hijacking your thread, I thought we may be running into the same problem.

Last edited by pokoy : 10 October 2012 at 05:19 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #17
Mike,

I have experienced this exact issue in the past and I although I could not isolate the exact problem, I found that by merging my scene xref's into the master scene, it would render without problems. I wrote it off as a network issue at the time.

I was not using Vray at the time of the errors, just mental ray.

Hope this helps

AM

Last edited by milfora : 10 October 2012 at 03:26 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #18
Thanks to all for the ideas. No worries about thread hijacking.

I am certain that it relates to something specific in my project scene. All servers are configured the same way and have been for a long time (XP x64, MAX2010_64, BB 2008.1, plugins) and nothing has been changed on the problem machine. All other servers render the job just fine and the problem machine used to render the job just fine. Other jobs render fine on the problem machine. Something about the current project scene now aggravates something on the problem machine when attempting to net-render.

(oh and no XRefs are used in this current project)

I can work around the problem for the remainder of this project but it is a puzzler considering nothing has changed about the problem machine.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 10 October 2012   #19
Submitted an old job which rendered perfectly before the updates to the farm, all jobs failed with this f*ing meaningless error report. Each server is crashing and it looks like it's always the same bucket or area, might be a map plugin or, more likely, some very highres textures.

From what I see it really looks like it's either a Windows or Max update. Still, it's not plausible why Mike's 2010 version and my 2012 version decided to crash on jobs that worked before. The only common denominator would be the OS, win7 64b in my case. Max is 2012 with PU10.

I'll look at the scenes today and hopefully find out what's causing the crash.

Kelly, do you see any recent error reports describing a similar problem?

--------
EDIT

Been busy the whole day with finding the cause, no success. What worked in one case (rendered successfully on slave 1 but still crashed on slave 2) was to use lower resolution textures. It definitely is related to specific objects or objects using high res textures but I couldn't track it down, way too many objects in that area.
I also uninstalled PU10 from one server but it didn't help, still getting crashes.
So, no real solution here, but it's safe to say PU10 can't be blamed.

Only thing I can say for sure is it rendered without any problems some weeks/months ago and crashes now on 3 different machines.

Last edited by pokoy : 10 October 2012 at 03:22 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #20
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread