JoseCastejon_CharacterArt_HybridSpy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
JoseCastejon_CharacterArt_HybridSpy

Hi, initially I think I will participate in the Character Art challenge and if everything goes well and I have the time I will opt for a rendering participation

Short concept:
A hybrid human-alien woman with ninjaskillsinfiltrates inside a Confederation space station

This a initial geometry created in Maya, and I will be going back and forth using ZBrush

3 Days Ago
A primitive figure with all quads

3 Days Ago
The evolution with the model

3 Days Ago
The current figure inside ZBrush. I will leave some anatomical details out from the model as I will design a suit using Marvelous Designer and she will be wearing boots.

At this point I may split the model, work on the head and face details on higher resolution and keep the body at current resolution for reference

Last edited by jecastej : 3 Days Ago at 02:36 PM. Reason: Add info

3 Days Ago
Some modifications to the geometry to better adapt to the details in the ears and the nose

3 Days Ago
A closer view in ZBrush

17 Hours Ago
These are simple SSS skin shaders without any color maps in Maya using MentalRay. Each took about 5-6 minutes on a fast i7 CPU quad core. MentalRay will be my reference as I think it is the better option specifically for this character skin.

17 Hours Ago
These images were rendered using the AMD RADEON PRO renderer with Maya. I am looking for close results but not an exact A-B comparison because I am just exploring what can be done and they are very nice. It took me longer to set it up and obtain good results as my experience with MentalRay plays against me on this. In the end I used the viewport with the AMD RENDER option and adjusted everything intuitively. I am very happy with it and I will consider this option for my final presentation as the scene will become more complex later and Mental Ray tend to take longer to render and to fine tune in general.

For both renders, AMD PRO and Mental Ray, I used an HDR image with an IBL node and 1 directional light. I did not used any normal or any bump map but I exported the model from ZBrush in full resolution. You can see the light bleeding on the lower part of the jaw as it is expected with a SSS shader, although I want to find out how to control its radius on smaller facial volumes like the nose or lips.

I tried Octane Render on this but neither of the 3 shaders available in the online library produced the results I expected and I did not wanted to employ my time creating a shader just for a test.

And for my character I will keep working on it, but I needed to test the skin and also discover weak points. Any suggestion and opinions are very welcome!

Last edited by jecastej : 16 Hours Ago at 04:17 PM.

reply share thread