RCAF Fleet 16 "Finch"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2017
I'm good! I need to start another aircraft just haven't decided on which one! Still having difficulties connecting to MM. Hope it gets work out such a great community!

10 October 2017
Hey man, you can just go to MM, site is working. Just click on "ignore this warning" or whatever your browser says.

It's got to do with the login and I've asked Ace to take care of it, site is fine.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

3 Weeks Ago
ps: Military-Meshes is back online and the warning is gone

Back with an update! It took quite a while as I was not able to model for about 2 weeks and I also had to completely change everything on the exhaust system and cowling

Basically my source was able to give me some measurements for the shrouds and it turned out I was a bit off with my eye-balling. This of course meant that pretty much everything else needed to be changed proportion wise.
He also sent me some great reference for the cowling doors which I've now worked up as well as completely changing the bottom cowling panel.
All in all the complete front section was changed and is now pretty much finished in terms of modelling.

Additionally I added the fresh air door on the front left that lets air into the cockpit (mostly used when the enclosed cockpit is mounted I imagine.
Also, my source pointed out that the fuel lines were rigged wrong on my model (always nice when museums get it right =/ ), they need to be on the front of the struts, not the back.
width of some of the wing struts was changed (they are different in size, who knew) and other details changed that got pointed out.

Next update will be back to the cockpit again to finish that off!

Cobra6
LinkedIn

2 Weeks Ago
Just pushing a lot of verts around to make everything fit together of which you'll probably notice nothing, added the brackets for fixing the upper fuselage to the frame, changed some of the upper fuselage panels and added some further details. Also added the oil tank heater switch and made the inside of the upper fuselage panels.

Cobra6
LinkedIn

1 Week Ago
I was really planning on continuing the cockpit Today however my reference shows various different instrument panel layouts so I've asked my source to confirm what the historically correct layout would be.

In  the meantime I've added various details on the main wing like brackets to lift the plane to mount ski's, the fuel cap and the grounding point for when refuelling.
After that I finished up the tail section with the exception of the wheel which I still need to do, so that is pretty much done now as well.

Cobra6
LinkedIn

1 Week Ago
Awesome. Love to see the dedication and attention to detail too. Not sure if you said this before. I've mostly flought through the pictures but you have a final plan for this model? It looks ideal to texture and render in a cool set up, even in a dog fight!

1 Week Ago
Yeah I definitely have some plans for this when I finish the model/texture/lookdev for sure, it is a commission for a client so he'll do his own stuff with it as well.

Putting it in a dogfight however would be a *VERY* bad idea because this is an unarmed trainer aircraft and it's bright yellow in real life as well

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

1 Week Ago
Haha that does show how much I know about planes or how much I researched before answering...Don't know why I assumed it would be a war plane.
Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see it try escape a dog fight! Poor thing. Haha.

2 Days Ago
No worries, this is a very obscure plane and I don't think it's been ever modelled in 3D like this to begin with

The master plan this weekend was to finish the instrument panels as my source was able to provide me with templates of the factory plans. But of course when I got the instrument panels modelled to spec it turned out the top of my fuselage was a bit too flat.
So in the end I had to reshape the top of the fuselage and both windscreens leaving me very little time to do the actual instrument panels themselves

Oh well, next weekend perhaps!

Compare the last image to this old one to see the difference.

Cobra6
LinkedIn

Last edited by cobra6 : 2 Days Ago at 04:36 PM.

2 Days Ago
still working the backhalf of fuselage? ( on top ), its has edges and in front not, un attached. What were the wings made of ? wood/aluminium? and skinned with?

1 Day Ago
Hey Ratrod,
The edges at the front which are not attached will actually be a hinging cover for a small stowage area just behind the cockpit, currently it's just a round sheet but this will change.

As for the wings, aluminium frame skinned with fabric.

Cobra6
LinkedIn

reply share thread