Veteran

portfolio
Odysseas Stamoglou
Illustrator
Odysseusart
Vienna, Austria

Send a message via Yahoo to Odysseus-art
Game box cover artwork

This illustration is the cover art for a board game set in a fictional planet in the future. Players assume the role of miners, and their goal is to capture the precious mineral 'X' and deliver it to the ship that awaits on the surface.
The mine itself has 4 type of paths, blue - red - yellow and white, and each path 'block' is seperated by a system of locks, or pressure doors.
Apart from the sci fi thematic, the game is abstract, so there are no characters or any other element except the ship and the paths.

Here I post the cover art that I am working on currently, which will be used for the box cover and other promotional applications.
My goal is to show all the basic elements of the game (the paths, locks, exit and ship) in an interesting composition and create a dynamic feeling.

I welcome any constructive comments or suggestions, having in mind that I cannot make major changes at this stage.

Thank you for your time,
Odysseas

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover_top-wip-s.jpg (93.0 KB, 31 views)

Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

My first thought was that the smooth metal piece at the top kind of breaks up the nice rugged futuristic composition a little bit.

Other than that, I think it looks great and successfully demonstrates the components of the board game.

The only thing that isn't really worked into there is the "system of locks and pressure doors." If you really wanted to, you could have a locked door on the red corridor and just have some light bleeding through to indicate that it is a red passage way. That may throw off your composition a bit though.

These are all really minor and picky comments. I think you are really close to a finished piece.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Odysseus-art
Veteran

portfolio
Odysseas Stamoglou
Illustrator
Odysseusart
Vienna, Austria

Send a message via Yahoo to Odysseus-art
Hi nfd77, thanks your hints!
You are absolutely right about the doors. Unfortunately this idea was dismissed by the client, in favor of clarity.
I am not really sure what else I could do at the top.

Thanks for your time
-Odysseas

Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread