Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
pfunkifized
3D Generalist

portfolio
Paul Fuller
San Francisco, USA

nCloth tearable not breaking on hi res mesh

Hi all,

I've managed to get some great looking tearing sims on a lower resolution model, but when I try to upres, things seem to get messed up. I'm using the same maps for the tearable constraint and the point to surface constraint I had on the low res sim, but for some reason some of the areas that are supposed to tear just stick together forming a spiderweb like pattern. I've tried adjusting the glue strength, the maximum distance, and adding more substeps. I even repainted my tearable constraint map to make sure nothing was connected, and even when I look at the connections created by the constraint everything looks good. There's something happening that I just don't understand, especially since I have no problems with the lower res mesh. I've got about 40,000 verts in the constraint, would that cause a problem? Any help would be much appreciated, I've been trying to figure this out for days now.

Cheers!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
benio33
portfolio
Maciej Benczarski
Lead FX TD
Platige Image
Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunkifized
...for some reason some of the areas that are supposed to tear just stick together forming a spiderweb like pattern...!

From that part I judge that youve upresed the mesh after you converted it to nCloth, or after you converted it to tearable surface. Have you tried deleting history on the object and setting up everything from scratch bu on the hi res mesh?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
pfunkifized
3D Generalist

portfolio
Paul Fuller
San Francisco, USA

Thanks for the reply but the upressing happened with a clean mesh ( no nCloth or construction history at all ) , just with higher resolution. That's the weird part, when i leave Display Connections on the tearable constraint those verts are definitely part of the constraint, they just don't seem to want to break no matter the force thrown at them.

One thing I notice is that when the constraint is created, the polyMergeVert distance is set way too high for the mesh and i need to set it to .0002 or so in order for verts to not start clumping together. I'm pretty sure the constraint set is determined before the merge happens ( since Display Connections still shows all the connections correctly after I change the merge value ) but maybe this has something to do with missing verts in the constraint or them acting weird?

Also in another nCloth thread there was an nCloth workflow where the tearable constraint should be made on the outputCloth while other constraints ( in my case a Point To Surface ) should be made on the input mesh. I actually didn't have any problems putting both constraints on the outputCloth on the low res tear I did, but could this become more important with a higher resolution mesh?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
benio33
portfolio
Maciej Benczarski
Lead FX TD
Platige Image
Poland

Hmmm .. thenk it is hard to say why it's like that. Can u share the scene?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
HowardM
Digital Ho

--------------------->
FX TD
a large dark room . . . . ... . .. ...with bright monitors
United Kingdom

Pics?

How are you upressing? I mean are you setting up low res cloth then simply upressing the input mesh or the output mesh? Are you recreating the constraints? Are you using weld adjacent and not tearable (terrible!)?

ALL constraints should be made on the input. The output is always just a representation of the cloth object. You can smooth it, tweak it, etc, but all the extra verts are only on the output mesh, not a part of the cloth. So lets say you have a low res mesh split in 2, with 5 verts on each edge. 10 in total. So you have 5 verts on the constraint connecting them. If you now upres the output mesh so you now have 20 verts, the constraint doesnt know about the new ones, it still only knows of the input mesh verts. Even if you select all the new ones and make a new constraint, it really only makes them on the input mesh.

So if you are upressing you have to upres the input mesh, and most likely recreate the constraint. But then all your ncloth settings will need work too as you have added more springs.

The output mesh is really just a final object for rendering, not for simulation.

Also, when you say maps, vertex or image? Vertex maps will need to be recreated if you have upressed anything, take a look at them you will see a checkboard type pattern where the old verts were painted and new most likely black.

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Last edited by HowardM : 04-03-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread