Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
Defonten
Vault Dweller

portfolio
Natiq Aghayev
Senior 3D Artist
Prague, Czech Republic

Exclamation How to make a perfect Rotoscoping? Help!

I mean, no matter how hard I try the end result will jitter and it "reads" that particular area was cut out using masks. Let's say I have 100 frames of material, and if I put keyframes for masking every 25th frame, - between those Key frames, cut out edges "swim". BUT, If I make a keyframe EVERY frame the end result is terrible jitter an noticable noise cos its hard sometimes to make a precise mask.

Are there any Golden Rules for successful rotoscoping? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
cgPoweruser

Please read my answer in the After Effects forum

Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

Don't put keys on a set number of frames - you have to study the motion and think like an animator. Put the keys at the extreme poses. Break up shapes into logical parts ( hand, forearm, bicep, chest as 4 separate roto shapes for example).

Shape track what you can to get a general motion down. Work in layers, by animating a parent of the roto shape, and then tweak the actual bezier points when you need to. Use as little keyframes as possible.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
cTennant
Frequenter
clint tennant
conceptualizing being a concept artist
san diego, USA

simple

I recommend following what what Lagavulin16 said and might I add a few other things.

You're obviously new to rotoscoping, so I'm guessing animation in general, which is fine, everyone who is great had to start at some point.
Start with something simple. If you're starting rotoing a human, you're done for, especially if you're new to animation. Start with something like a bouncing ball or a book.

Study animation..... Study animation...... study animation and learn the principals of animation.

When you have proper keyframes set at the beginning and ending of an arc, yet your roto looses sync halfway through the motion, scrub through the arc to see where its most out of sync with the object your rotoing, adjust the roto then set a key on that frame.

Make sure the verts stick to the same section of the object. (I.E if a vert starts on a characters nostril, it should stay on the same point of the nostril unless the character turns so its not an external edge of the character.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread