blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryDS
Dishonoured ... arrrg ... I was looking into getting that as well, but borderlands just keeps on giving ... so thought I would wait.

Too much gaming for me tends to distract from other responsibilities. Head turn into a fuzzy peach ...

Dishonoured is very cool so far ;-)

This time of the year is always mad for games. Borderlands a few weeks back, Dishonoured today, and then over the next month there's also Assassin's Creed III, Halo 4 and Black Ops 2. This happens every year and I always clear out parts of my social schedule so I can play EVERYTHING

Old 10-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRennie
I especially like how some of the bad guys have mutant strapped to the front of their shields who if you manage to shott off can fight on your side

I was fighting some baddies in Lynchwood. One of them was standing on the train tracks. Then the train rushed through and the guy got thrown halfway across the map by the train.

Its little details like this that I like about this game.

I hope they make a Borderlands 3!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA

I think the reason that we aren't talking about it more is that we're all too busy playing it!
I very rarely replay games so wanting to play through the first BL with every character was a first for me. I couldn't wait for BL2! I'm a little short on cash right now so I had to rent it, but wow what a great game! Didn't get too far into it but I really enjoyed it! I played as the Gunzerker and his off-the wall comments during combat were hilarious.

What I like most about this game (both games really) though, is that it does NOT feel like a cold exercise in technical precision from the people who made it. It IS certainly a great technical achievement to be sure, but it feels like a lot of love went into both games. There's just so much amusing/polished detail and the game really rewards you for exploring. It feels at times like the Dev team didn't want to leave the universe they were making so they kept adding to it so that they would have an excuse to stay there just a little while longer. Great stuff!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Ok.. here's a question that will reveal how much of a sad nerd I really am..

What's the camera movement like in this game? I'd love to try it out but I seem to be one of those people who is sensitive to motion more than others and games where the camera bobs a lot as you walk (Halflife 2 and Rage for example) make me feel nauseous after less than 10 minutes of play. Others like GTA and the like where the camera stays more level (and driving games) are fine though.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 10-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
Ok.. here's a question that will reveal how much of a sad nerd I really am..

What's the camera movement like in this game? I'd love to try it out but I seem to be one of those people who is sensitive to motion more than others and games where the camera bobs a lot as you walk (Halflife 2 and Rage for example) make me feel nauseous after less than 10 minutes of play. Others like GTA and the like where the camera stays more level (and driving games) are fine though.

Cheers,
Brian

I don't know about Rage as I didn't play it, but sadly Valve's games, including Half Life, give me severe motion sickness. However, I believe this is due to their unusual FOV angle, and it's a widespread issue amongst many people. I do not have any issues with Borderlands though.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Great, thanks for the info. I think I'll make a purchase then. Worst case scenario I have a friend who will be delighted to get it from me if it does cause nausea but since you have similar issues with Valve games it seems likely that I shouldn't have issues with this.

Hopefully game devs will put more options into games for dealing with this, I guess there are others who have the same problems too who would otherwise enjoy their games. Weird thing though is I have no problems with Portal 1 or 2, just Halflife 2 and a couple of others. I guess the FOV and/or bobbing must be different in those.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
What's the camera movement like in this game? I'd love to try it out but I seem to be one of those people who is sensitive to motion more than others and games where the camera bobs a lot as you walk (Halflife 2 and Rage for example) make me feel nauseous after less than 10 minutes of play.

There is very little camera bobbing in Borderlands 2 PC. Only a little bit when you run. Really not much.

Also, the FOV in the PC version is adjustable from 70 to 110 degrees. That might help you find a setting that doesn't make you nauseous.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #23
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel

Quote:
Weird thing though is I have no problems with Portal 1 or 2, just Halflife 2 and a couple of others. I guess the FOV and/or bobbing must be different in those.

Funnily enough, after posting I realised I should have mentioned that Portal didn't give me serious problems. But Half Life, Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead are absolutely unplayable for me. Within 20 minutes I feel violently nauseated and it takes hours before I feel normal again. Portal gave me very mild motion sickness if I played it for long stretches, but generally it's okay.

Borderlands' camera movement is, as you say, very smooth and level, with no significant bobbing around. This is a game I'll literally sit and play for up to six hours or even more at a time with absolutely no issues.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Awesome, thanks guys. Looks like my poor credit card is about to get abused again.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 10-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #25
RockinAkin
DivideByZero

portfolio
Akin Bilgic
Modeler / Generalist TD
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Funnily enough, after posting I realised I should have mentioned that Portal didn't give me serious problems. But Half Life, Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead are absolutely unplayable for me. Within 20 minutes I feel violently nauseated and it takes hours before I feel normal again. Portal gave me very mild motion sickness if I played it for long stretches, but generally it's okay.

Borderlands' camera movement is, as you say, very smooth and level, with no significant bobbing around. This is a game I'll literally sit and play for up to six hours or even more at a time with absolutely no issues.

I'm not sure about XBox, but I believe on PC those games have an FOV slider in the options you can set anywhere between 75-90 degrees. Might help in the future.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 10-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #26
kromano
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kyle Romano
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
I want to play BL2 real bad but I'll have to wait for the price to come down. I loved the first one and everything I'm hearing says this is improved in many ways.

I got talked into preordering and I'm glad I did! They really improved on pretty much everything that made Borderlands good. We need to get the band back together for some FPSin'.

Visually it looks like they took what they did in the first game and made every texture and detail crisper and deeper. The world does feel more populated and alive with more than just kinky bandits too.

I'm rather surprised at the the length of the game. Around the point when you figure you should be beating the last boss you find an entire new region to explore and many more quests to do. Unlike the first they're not just shoving you back into the same 3 or 4 areas with a bunch of "Fetch me a bucket" and "Kill x number of y" either.

My only real complaint is that I wish there were more elements of strategy within some of the levels for co-op play. It just feels like there's an avenue left unexplored by not making use of multiple players in a level beyond using your friend's corpse as a meatshield while you help them back up. It's tough to make multi-person puzzles in the main story and still have it be beatable by or fun to a single person. For that reason I hope Gearbox releases an SDK this time around.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #27
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread