Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
borchi

portfolio
Sven Borchert
Berlin, Germany

Washed out Textures problem in 3ds max and mudbox

Hi everybody,

today i decided to go online with my troubleshooting and questions.
I did ask allready a prof of mine, but i did not get an answer yet.

I have added the explaining pictures to this problem in this post. I hope that helps.

Now let me come to the questions i have.

First i have to say that this is about my texture and i am puzzled with it and that it looks so washed and has no details at all.
i allready understand that this has to do with my uv layout i made in 3ds max.
after that i exported it to mudbox and sculpted and painted there.

i painted the diffuse maps in mudbox and wanted to get the best results out of it.
the max size i can produce as diffusemap in the paintlayer are 4096 x 4096 sized maps, which aggrivates me :-). i would like to go way higher, cause i would like to be able to produce high quality skintextures for my characters, but well, i have to deal with it the way it is.

i thought about problem solutions for that, so that i could go high in the details of the textures, cause do to my uv layout it would be for the character like using a 1024 x 1024 map, cause i only use 1/4 of my uv layout space for the character itself, what can be seen in the picture.

i have added a picture of the current texture so you can get yourself a look at the uv layout.
i know that the problem is, that i use to much space for the wings and the body is to small, but i have adjusted the sizes of the wrapings so they matched with a checkermap. the uv layout is the result of it.

my solution idea to the size of the textures and the resulting uv layouts that are needed is, to use multiple uv sets like in maya. i am no maya pro or user, i have not even opened the prog once before, so i have no clue how to do it there, but i have seen the function of the uv sets, which gives you multiple uv layouts for one character which would help painting textures for such a character in high detail.

the idea of uv sets would be a solution to my problem, maybe.
if thats the right assuption, then how can i achiev such similar effect in 3ds max uv layouts.
it does not nessisarily need to be a uv set, but i need a solution for that.

i also thought of spliting the object, so that i would have more space in the uv layouts, but i think this looks bad in the endresult.

i hope the once who read this get the sence of what i am looking for and understand me.

thanks for taking the time to read this and i hope someone comes up with a solution to this, which does not only help me but also others out there

cheers
sven

Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
ezekiel66
Know-it-All

portfolio
v j
3D Artist
Germany

What you can do is use 1 single UV set, but multiple UV tiles. For example, put the head of your creature into UV space 0-1, the upper body into 1-1, the legs into 2-1 and so forth. You can put any part of the creature into any UV tile of course, and into as many UV tiles as you'd like.

You will then create a separate texture for each UV tile (the 3D painting program should be able to handle that automatically upon OBJ import, I use Mari), this way you can use a 4k texture just for the head, another 4k texture for the legs ect.

(just some random pic I found using google image search to illustrate what I'm talking about)

After painting the textures, you need to define the appropriate UV tile offset for each single texture in 3DS Max/ Maya to tell the program which texture belongs to which UV tile.

Unfortunately, I do not own those programs and therefore cant tell you exactly how to do that. You should find that in the Docs though.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
borchi

portfolio
Sven Borchert
Berlin, Germany

Thumbs up

thanks ezekiel66 for that fast answer. i´ll try it as soon i got the time for it, which will be very soon ;-)

danke ezekiel66 für die schnelle antwort

Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread