Multimedia Degree vs Game Design Degree.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Multimedia Degree vs Game Design Degree.

QUICK MAIN QUESTION: Is it easy to go from a game development studio to a multimedia studio?

Hey, I've been wondering, what is harder? Which are the limitations and difficulties in each choice?

1. Going to a Game Development Company with a Multimedia Degree?

2. Going to a Multimedia Company with a Game Development Degree?

3. Is it easy to get into a multimedia company with game development knowledge (art and also programming)?

4. What aspects of game design can be used by a multimedia company?

Here are some details in case anyone wonders why I am asking and is willing to read all of this:

I want to keep flexibility and all options open. I know how tough the game industry can be, but I don't want to give up on this, I really want to give it a try, and even if I won't work in the game industry, I want the knowledge, I want to know every aspect of it and be able to do it myself. Create stories, sceneries and gameplay. I started out learning about it, there's a crazy amount of things that have be learned and I love it. I love how you can just dedicate yourself to it and loose track of time and be happy about your day.
But what if at some point in life I also want to live? I also really love travelling, volunteering and interacting with people, making them smile, get some crazy experiences and try out everything the world has to offer.
Multimedia doesn't seem challenging, fun or inspiring enough, but that also depends a lot on the projects and on the place you are working in. I just want to keep it open as an option in case I will ever need it. I believe that the things you learn in a Game Development program can be well used in any multimedia or marketing office, what do you think? I really need some advice on this one.

reply share thread