How to find a good graphics programmer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 01 January 2017   #1
How to find a good graphics programmer

I have an ambitious project I'm trying to get moving that requires a good graphics programmer/s that is familiar with the needs of vfx, can develop, from the ground up, a standalone 3D software package with tools for modeling, sculpting, rigging and animation, processing large data sets, and is familiar with simulation techniques and AI.

I'm wondering if anyone here can advise me on how/where to find such a person or persons, and how to go about approaching and vetting these individuals and their skills sets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01 January 2017   #2
Try to look up contributors to open source rendering projects. The good reliable ones are practically unicorns though. With the scope of your project, you'll need a lot of money and a lot of patience.

Old 01 January 2017   #3
A software package from the ground up will likely take a long time and need deep pockets at your end. Good programmers generally don't work for exposure or goodwill, at least over here they don't. Good luck with your project.

Old 01 January 2017   #4
I don`t think you realize how much work that actually is. To do custom solutions - maybe you could run with Fabric Engine. With capital you can do a lot tho.

Old 01 January 2017   #5
@VICoX: Heh... I do have some idea of how much work this is. Presently I feel like I'm staring up at Mount Everest and I don't have any gear! And yet, you are probably right that I still don't properly appreciate the task I want to tackle. Nevertheless, I'm looking for a way to make it happen.

Actually, I have been thinking about using Fabric Engine to build it, but it's also something I want to commercialize as a product that can be purchased and used without a pre-installation of Fabric Engine. So, if that were the route I follow, I would want to use fabric engine as a development environment and library that would ship in limited form with my software like unto how QT ships with software. I've emailed the guys at fabric engine to see if an arrangement like this is possible but have not heard back from them yet.

@rove3d: thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of that option.

@Dillster: Deep pockets indeed. We'll see how that goes.

Old 01 January 2017   #6
a good graphics programmer/s that is familiar with the needs of vfx, can develop, from the ground up, a standalone 3D software package with tools for modeling, sculpting, rigging and animation, processing large data sets, and is familiar with simulation techniques and AI.

ONE programmer?

Smaller specialized tools like Sculptris or Mesh Mixer can and are in fact done by one person. But not a complete state of the art suite, sorry.

To give you an idea how much work it really is: Unity had around 800 employees when i looked last. Unreal Engine is around 100 programmers afaik, plus the community that commits code too. That's of course no 3D apps to make graphics, those two are game engines. But the technics is close. You need a good 3d engine for a 3d graphics suite too. And alone this 3d engine is worth several dozen manyears of work.

Let's pick a direct example from the 3D apps world. Blender develops since 20 years with around +-5 paid core developers and around 100 volunteers every year. And is still behind in nearly all areas. Autodesk has a staff that is close to 10.000 employees. I cannot say how many of them are programmers though. But i could bet it's also here around 1000 or more.

Or simply have a look how long it took for Modo to evolve into its current state. They develop since many years with lots of people at it.

You should get the idea. One programmer will imho lead you to nowhere when your goal is really a complete suite from scratch. You need a big staff.

The other option is to build on top of what exists. Fabric Engine was already mentioned. Blender is open source too. Source Forge contains also more than one ambitious but unknown 3d project. Art of Illusion, K-3D ... . The problem here is that those tools are more or less unknown for good reason. And also here you may need more than one programmer.

Last edited by Tiles : 01 January 2017 at 08:00 AM.

Old 01 January 2017   #7
Im wondering about this aswell.

Not for a complete 3D app though. I've got a few ideas for plugins for a few years now and would be interested in where/how to find a good programmer and how things are generally handled/agreed uppon, average hourly rates, time needed, etc.. etc...

Old 01 January 2017   #8
Well, you can find such programmers for example at sourceforge.net . The makers of those 3D software there.

The next good place is simply the programmer boards. Or you could try to hire a game development team for this task. Or ask the addon developers for your favourite 3D software. Or write a job offer here

How good a programmer is can be seen at its portfolio, like for an artist too. The projects in which he was involved so far.

The rest depends of what you want to achieve.

Last edited by Tiles : 01 January 2017 at 08:35 AM.

Old 01 January 2017   #9
Originally Posted by Tiles: Well, you can find such programmers for example at sourceforge.net . The makers of those 3D software there.

The next good place is simply the programmer boards. Or you could try to hire a game development team for this task. Or ask the addon developers for your favourite 3D software. Or write a job offer here

How good a programmer is can be seen at its portfolio, like for an artist too. The projects in which he was involved so far.

The rest depends of what you want to achieve.

Looking at sourceforge.net to find a good programmer is kind of impossible for someone who doesnt know programming?

Old 01 January 2017   #10
You could search for 3d applications there, and simply write the developer a mail

Old 01 January 2017   #11
Originally Posted by FBB:
Actually, I have been thinking about using Fabric Engine to build it, but it's also something I want to commercialize as a product that can be purchased and used without a pre-installation of Fabric Engine. So, if that were the route I follow, I would want to use fabric engine as a development environment and library that would ship in limited form with my software like unto how QT ships with software. I've emailed the guys at fabric engine to see if an arrangement like this is possible but have not heard back from them yet.

You must also realize that this is a pandora's box detail as well.
-Make a software.
-Release it onto the world
-Now what?!

Who updates and supports it? (new OS version comes along-does your software work on it? what about five years later?)
How about tech support staff?
How about UI and workflow?
Documentation?
You must realize you will need lots of full time staff for all of it.
Hey chuck in marketing (so somebody actually finds out about it and buys it)?
Now we are talking millions$$$

And finally. Are you wanting to re-invent the wheel?
Do you truly know enough about the existing solutions out there that you REALLY are making something;
NEW? (and will anyone like that?) or ME TOO? (who can be bothered-they already have what they need)
And how long will it take you to get Industry 'functional' feature set wise to Industry 'trend setter'.
I predict 15-20 years (at least).

You have to be prepared to start a major software development company. Anything else will die in a vast ocean of unfinished tasks.

Good Luck. And I hope you are independently wealthy.

Last edited by circusboy : 01 January 2017 at 04:34 PM.

Old 01 January 2017   #12
to make such system you need to really understand if there is a need an if people will pay for this solution

i have been making a web based system not animation related an im 2 yrs an 40k+ on it haveing to sift an find reliable people to help me get this going we have customers but you have to keep tweaking your system till they are happy once complete then you can get more customers but you reallllly need to have an ace up your sleeve to know your going to make any money at all or connections out the yin yang to ensure you will make a dime. animation market it flooded an AD can just take your idea the hope would be they buy you out but they can just remake anything you do.

it would take you a year plus just to find a solid "responsible" programmer. my experience is they flake out really fast an you can throw money at them once they get bored forget always keep looking for the next guy cause it will happen takes a long time to find an know how to talk to them.

lastly make sure you have the funds coming in at all times to pay programmers, they are not cheap you get what you pay for.

also you don't seem like you defined what it is your making so expect to pay upwards of 300k or more you need to plan this to the teeth the more vague you are expect to pay 10x the cost if you would have took the time to plan it out. Programmers can go off the reservation quick if they dont know exactly how you want something to work.

Thats my 2 cents good luck

Old 01 January 2017   #13
Thanks for the input everyone.

Your warnings etc are well-founded. My final vision really is ambitious, but I do plan to tackle it in stages, focusing on only a few key features to begin, and possibly using fabric engine as a relatively quick way to mockup a proof-of-concept prototype of those features before we go crazy, potentially losing time needlessly, on the base framework. I envision one or two programmers as merely the starting point for building a major software development team and product.

As for whether anyone would want to use it. Well, for starters it's designed to facilitate the kind of work that I actually do. So, I'm coming at it from the informed perspective of the intended end user. In my opinion, it's the kind of product that will inevitably be made. The market trends and needs are straining for it. It's just a question of when it will be made and by whom. Of course, there's no guarantee that what makes sense to me will work for other people doing the same work, so I have been floating the product description to other people. So far the responses have been very good, but I do need to get more feedback.

One of the biggest of the immediate hurdles is raising the necessary start-up funds. One route is to look for investors, another is crowd-funding. In either case, I need a solid way of communicating why my product is needed. As part of that effort, and in order to create general interest, find qualified and interested collaborators, and gather feedback, I've considered breaking from the traditional protectionist approach of being cagey about the project while building my team, and opt instead for the open approach of creating a website dedicated to putting the idea out to the public, gathering survey responses about what people think of it, suggestions etc. Part of my rationale is that this may be the most effective way to gain the interest of those developers and other relevant persons who are best situated to help move the project forward. This, of course, is an approach that incurs certain risks - most notably, that someone will simply steal the idea - but the pros may prove to outway the cons.

Anyway, those are some of the things I'm thinking about in relation to this project. Please continue to give feedback.

Now I'm going to go check out sourceforge projects.

reply share thread