particles in Modo?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
particles in Modo?

I`m looking to buy a 3D software, going to university next year,
I`m very interested in the 3D particle system in Cinema4D, mograph, thinking particles,

Can this be done in Modo 601? I`m confused by the dynamics versus particles.

thankyou.

Old 06 June 2012   #2
Originally Posted by pixyQ: I`m looking to buy a 3D software, going to university next year,
I`m very interested in the 3D particle system in Cinema4D, mograph, thinking particles,

Can this be done in Modo 601? I`m confused by the dynamics versus particles.

thankyou.

Dear pixyQ,
i've used Cinema4D for some time (not so professional) and since 20days i'm a Modo 601 user. If you are looking for your first 3D software, i think modo could be your choice: it's very cheap and have a lot of stuff.

Modo have a simple particle system (not equally to Ciname4D) and have replicators (not equally to mograph). If you are interested more in motion graphics i think Cinema4D will be a better choice. Modo can replicate via Replicators-Fallofs-Particle a lot of C4D production, but it seems a little bit tricky.

I hope beeing helpfull.
By.
Fla'

Old 06 June 2012   #3
Thumbs up

THanks Flavietto !

a lot of mograph and thinking particles means complex effects without keyframing, thats great,

however seeing 601 and how its fillled the bill on all added components so far, I`m of confidence its just a matter of time (and seems the next logical thing) to build on dynamics and replicators to add the last piece, particle system or compositing.

and knowing Luxologies track record, it will be seamless across the board and probably implimented more dynamically, simpler and user friendly,

I will get modo because its a great price and a great company/software.

cin4d has free student version now but only 18 months & a few limits, no network rendering or support, my course is 3 years. but student teacher version is $220 in australia.

still I will get modo, it seems a great tool for single artist with lots to come. good to grow with.

Old 06 June 2012   #4
Modo 601 has particles, but you cannot simulate them. All you can move them around with are (animated) deformers.

I have never used thinking particles, so I cannot say how this works exactly, but judging from a few animations I watched on Youtube this is far more advanced than anything that can be done in Modo. You could probably replicate the behavior of thinking particles to a certain basic extent using Modos particles, deformers and falloffs, but thats it.

If you need thinking particles, Modo is not the way to go.

Old 06 June 2012   #5
Smile

Thanks for the elaboration Ezekial,

I wanted to use animation as a means to express idea, (obvious lol), and particles are key to that not just 3D but 2D like in after effects, perhaps thinking particles is a bit far for me at the moment,

mograph is good in cin4D, I know what you mean Ive seen some mograph/thinking particle animations on youtube/vimeo and they are sublime to watch, and funny enough some of the easier things to do in the software, once you know the buttons,

and the dynamics particles, deformers in Modo I will work with to see what I can do.

I want to get up to speed with Modo because a particle suite with instancing and flocking can only be in the works I imagine plus More.

Last edited by pixyQ : 06 June 2012 at 01:32 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #6
Originally Posted by pixyQ: Thanks for the elaboration Ezekial,

I wanted to use animation as a means to express idea, (obvious lol), and particles are key to that not just 3D but 2D like in after effects, perhaps thinking particles is a bit far for me at the moment,

mograph is good in cin4D, I know what you mean Ive seen some mograph/thinking particle animations on youtube/vimeo and they are sublime to watch, and funny enough some of the easier things to do in the software, once you know the buttons,

and the dynamics particles, deformers in Modo I will work with to see what I can do.

I want to get up to speed with Modo because a particle suite with instancing and flocking can only be in the works I imagine plus More.

I've just seen ad introduction video from luxology explaining how to realize sprite particles systems. Modo does not have "standard particles system" like TP in Cinema 4D. you can realize particle clouds starting from geometry end jittering the vertex.

Every time i tried to use TP in cinema4D i failed. TP are too unpredictable and often my client ask to "can you move this particles here... or too much here... this one this one!!".
So I use often "Mograph replicator". Modo has its little particle system and you can sculpt particle position with brush (WONDERFUL). They are very usable.

Hope been helpfull.
bye
Flavio

Old 06 June 2012   #7
Thumbs up

with my limited knowledge I understand and agree Flavietto, I read the whats new PDF from Modo and the painting with sculpting brush option caught my attention as to the finite control available. Thanks for your personal experience with TP , mograph, ~

Old 06 June 2012   #8
pixyQ,

You could check out Houdini's Apprentice if you are focusing on learning particle effects.

cin4d has free student version now but only 18 months & a few limits, no network rendering or support, my course is 3 years.

I would imagine after 18 months you could just renew or by that time perhaps Maxon would just take on SESI's HD option and it would no longer be an issue.

still I will get modo, it seems a great tool for single artist with lots to come. good to grow with.

I can't disagree there but you might not get an actual particle system from Modo in the next three years. So to reiterate what others have said, if you want particles, Modo isn't the right tool at the moment and more likely not for a few years.

Old 06 June 2012   #9
Thanks Eworc,

your right, "renew", I didnt think of it, ...

whats " on SESI's HD option"?

Thanks for the insight, good to know I shouldnt put my hopes in a certain time frame, I need to start learning this now, i`m really attracted to the CIN4D particle system, mograph and thinking particles, its an easy intro into particles.

I also looked at houdini funny you mentioned it next, vops, chops etc, I thought that would be my next step, the student version does full rendering and only $99 I believe.

I`m keen on learning modo rigging though and its new character animation tools, they have a very comprehensive rigging video for purchase,

but cin4d and houdini will be where I start with particles.

thanks Eworc.

Old 06 June 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread