Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Juan Pablo Monroy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2007   #76
HI Juan!HEy congratz on finishing a great pic man.Love it and love the strange factor you brought in there!Wish you all the best and hope to see nex time around again!Cheers!

Old 11 November 2007   #77
Thanks man. yeah definitely! We're all waiting for the anouncement of the next topic right!
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

Old 11 November 2007   #78
Smile HI JP! How is it going?

Here I am to Finally answer your question about the fabric texture, I'm really sorry it took me this long, but here it comes...

First let me tell you I didn't do it manually, it is a scanned texture, but it wasn't either a filter or a layer effect, these always tend to flatten your painted work instead of boosting it, so I went for the do-it-yourself, and it fits better....

I had to work four different layers since the texture takes many directions, if you'll add the effect to the pants of your character maybe one layer for every leg will do. this is how they were distributed:

If I used the same piece of texture to cover all the front arm I would have to twist the texture too much and it would have lost all of its sharpness so it was better to separate the two segments.
BTW the texture I had it from a project long ago that demanded lots and lots of texture maps scanned, I keep em' ever since, I think it is the scan of a piece of doormat (I don't remember well, and I had the great idea of naming all those files progressive numbers instead of what the texture was, and since they are filtered and grayscaled, it's hard to tell now), but scaling it down it looks like the thick knit fabric effect I was looking for, who'd know!

Now here is a little step by step:

1,the texture layers I used are set in OVERLAY mode at some 30% opacity, I take here a piece of the texture and free transform it to whatever the size I want the texture to appear, this part is all up to your taste, then I take the square and place it in the general direction of that area, AND BEFORE confirming your transformation....

2,... Go up to the option bar and switch to WARP mode, this was new to me just a while ago, mostly because I didn't notice the damn icon next to the 'check' one, but now I use it all the time! it's much better than Liquify in that it doesn't smudge the deformed section all that much, and the method is a bit more precise too. Once you give the texture sample a little volume and flow you can hit enter and apply the transformation, I suggest you to do it until now because this way you keep the corner nodes right at the corners of your sample, otherwise it turns harder to manipulate the warp mode.

3, Now that you have it warped you can trim the texture to the shape of your area, if you have it in a separate layer this will take a second.
4, You can distort it a bit more in liquify, like I did in the big fold at bottom right, don't use too much strokes or the texture won't survive the process.
You can even notice how in that zone the texture blurred a bit, but it was worth it to get it more in the shape of the sleeve, anyway, you can add some sharpen tool pass afterwards to fix it a bit. (if you notice something different from the previous steps it is because this is the actual layer used, the others were a quick remaking of the process, so nevermind ).

5, Once adjusting your layer settings this will be the result. As always that overlay effect is a bit messy and can alter the original values of your painted work depending on the black-white amounts of the sampled texture, so it's always good to re adjust them having the texture on top, so it will look as close as the original painted work. you can also use a soft eraser to dim the texture in some zones or darken it in others, that helps tho make it feel more natural.

Well this is it, I hope it's clear enough, and if it's not, just let me know, As I said before I'm not very good at explaining things, still, feel completely free to ask anything, It was a pleasure to lend some help.

Greetings Homie! and best Luck in the coming days! .... Damn, when do they plan to announce the winners??

Old 11 November 2007   #79
superb painting. and I love your sketches a lot. great work

Old 11 November 2007   #80
Thanks Gabriel! thats awsome, thanks for the very thorough and helpful tutorial.

Thanks Henry! do you have a Strange Behavior post also?
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

Old 11 November 2007   #81
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread