Dharroun
Frequenter

portfolio
Dennis Harroun
Modeler , Digital/Traditional sculptor and painter
Freelance, available to travel.
Albuquerque, USA

Night Moai, WIP-ish.

We'll this did not make nor has any of my work into the galleries YET! Please take a look, enjoy and if you have anything to share my eyes and mind are open.
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Last edited by Dharroun : 06-19-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Akinsthestarchild93
PRO
portfolio
Dan Smith
Deed street, USA

What program did you use to make this? I'm just curious.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Dharroun
Frequenter

portfolio
Dennis Harroun
Albuquerque, USA

It was made in Photoshop CS5. Sorry I didnt explain much else. Call me a lil shy here...Its a big world of really amazing artists and I do want to use this and other forums to get insight.

I didnt really have a huge amount of direction when making this except for a few key concepts...

A lil variation of color in areas as well as a deeper sense of realism are things i would now appreciate seeing this evolve into....
Thx
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Can you talk about what your goals were with this image? What is the premise? What's the narrative about? What did you want to convey so that you will entertain your audience--or better yet, make them feel or think?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Dharroun
Frequenter

portfolio
Dennis Harroun
Albuquerque, USA

I started this as a sort of logo. Its my interpretation of Mana...or an ancient Polynesian energy source. These are Moi...from Easter Island or Rapa Nui as its properly known. The tales go back saying that "Mana" was used to move and build them. So...there you have it.
A bit more about this image and what it means. I imagined bluelight creeping through geometric cracks. I did want to convey somehow that they where communicating with a mothership or something distant.
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Last edited by Dharroun : 06-19-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
GenaMajor82
portfolio
Gena Cavendish
London, United%2BKingdom

I like the idea/concept.

And I think it's very effective how everything in the image draws your (third)eye to think upwards, and to imagine the source of those energies.

The main Moi dude at the front is looking great; the energy running through him looks really liquid and alive. The finish of his stone torso, especially where the light reflects off near the base, has that good solid stone feel and texture. Nice work.

I'd say just get those clouds and cliffs up to scratch, work some more depth and levels into the clouds themselves, more detail in the greenery. Maybe hint at some galaxies and Nebula up there in the sky. All this in my humble opinion anyway. I'd also say maybe play around with composition, such as making the canvas wider, giving more room at the bottom of the main Moi, more room to the right of the right Moi, perhaps....

Liking it so far

Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Dharroun
Frequenter

portfolio
Dennis Harroun
Albuquerque, USA

Alright! Thanks for those great suggestions. I took some time (hehe) to revise this based on the things you said. I still see things I'd like to work on and havent managed to really like the clouds but I did add alot of grass details and played around with the galaxy suggestion you had as well!
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Last edited by Dharroun : 07-06-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
Dharroun
Frequenter

portfolio
Dennis Harroun
Albuquerque, USA

And Im still trying to figure out how to get the right colors from each monitor. The colors on this new one look desaturated on one screen while they look alright on another. Obviously the monitor Ive made this one on shows it how I mean for it to look...
In fact Ive worked on this and all my work from 2 Cintiqs. Ones at work and ones at home.
Both show less than ideal colors but do look better than when Im here at my home PC's screen. (non-cintiq)
Ive gotta calibrate all of em together I take it.
Im also excited to eventually work up to the new Cintuq as its colors are way beyond the old 21UX models. Thus eliminating an expensive Apple screen and beefing up my tablet capabilities in the process!

Also since Im printing these Im curious to learn more about color profiles, screens and how they all tie together.
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Last edited by Dharroun : 07-07-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

To me, the stylized color choices doesn't quite carry the same sense of dramatic gravity than if you were to use more realistic colors that follow Mother Nature's color rules.

For example, think about what moonlight really is. It's just sunlight reflected off of the moon's surface, so it is in fact, really weak sunlight, and has the same color temperature as sunlight. But because our human biology dictates that our eyes are more sensitive to blue in darkness, we tend to associate darkness with a blue cast. But moonlight itself isn't actually blue. In this case, it seems you've replaced the blue with purple for stylization purpose. If you want the sculptures to be purple, that's fine, but differentiate the sky and ocean from the heads so that the scene doesn't look like it's only got two colors. The green also seems oddly saturated for a night scene. Try adding a bit more natural variation to the greenery, such as dried patches with browns and yellows, and varieties of different greens.

In terms of composition, having the biggest head so close to the middle of the image doesn't work very well, because it doesn't create an interesting focal point for the eyes to move to. Try moving the heads around so the largest/closet one is near or at the traditional Rule-of-Thirds or Golden Ratio spot. While some people might instinctively want to rebel against the classical guidelines of visual art, but there's a reason why they are taught in every art school and have been upheld by all experienced artists for hundreds of years--it's because they really do work. Usually, unless you have a genius level of compositional instinct (extremely rare even among professional, veteran artists), it's much better/easier to just utilize the classical guidelines as much as possible.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Dharroun
Frequenter

portfolio
Dennis Harroun
Albuquerque, USA

Thanks for the in depth responses! Alright...so the heads do feel out of place and Ive realized this. The newer one did include more colors and I did attempt to get better clouds but fell short on this run of achieving what I wanted. Im mixing a stylized look with something I would like to appear realistic and believable...This last one has left me desiring more so Im going back to the drawing board after all.

I'll play around with the colors as you suggested. The Moi do need some continuity with the rest of the scene...And i totally agree I need to shift things around to play with the viewers attention...Obey that wonderful fractal mathematics that defines beauty!
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Dharroun
Frequenter

portfolio
Dennis Harroun
Albuquerque, USA

3rd and Final? Hmmm...this ones been plagued from the beginning. (possibly the same situation on Rapa Nui!) But I like a few things and learned a ton about setting up better composition. I really had no full intention of making this Moai concept turn into this kind of painting! Thats a good thing I did as Im sure this will make a better print than it even looks on screen...
Anyways as you can see I listened to some of the color changes, added a bit more realistic lighting and kind of managed to set things up with the rule of thirds in mind...All in all a learning process and Im glad I got the feedback here that I did...
Cheers and please feel free to suggest more but as of now this is basically done!
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
psage
Chad Lehman
Sandy, US

That's a supremely tasty render to my eyes.

One thing that's bothering me a little is the front guy's proximity to the left of the image. There's either not enough room or he's tipping toward the left... and it just feels like he's about to topple out of the composition.

I would think of this in terms of how you would frame it in your camera, if you were to go see this scene live. Does the first head seem like it's a little to close to the left and top of the frame? Maybe move the camera a little to the left and a little up. And you could possibly nudge him backward a little so he doesn't fall over.

Great job, though.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread