Jester Animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2014
Jester Animation

I am currently in art school and have an animation of a friendly Jester entering the scene. He spots the Princess in the distance and stares lovingly in her direction. He loses his balance and falls only to catch himself alerting the Princess. The Princess will wave to the Jester causing the Jester to wave back before falling completely.

I would love a critique on my process so far. I have been told I can enter the polishing stage but wanted to have a few more critiques before doing so.

Thank you for your time!

Destiny

02 February 2014
Cool Good Start

The animation is floaty, and most of the action seems to be happening at the same pace. when The gester moves to hoist himself onto the counter, there is no sense of effort or weight. Use the spine to vary the angle of the shoulders and put more arch in the back, this means counter animating and posing the neck, head and shoulders, but the key poses at this point are too plain, too vanilla, they need spice.

Think about a jester, they are generally very flexible, and this means that you should really push the poses. Also take a look at making the silhouette more visually appealing, not so straight on to the camera. What is his intention? Seems he would want to impress the Princess, he would be posing to show himself off, this is his chance to make a BIG impression, but he looks meek and tentative, like he has no confidence. Give him an ego boost, puff out his chest, turn him more three quarter view and push out his jaw.

In the curve editor, work on the timing and spacing of your poses, break tangents and work on the transitions in and out of key positions to get more speed and snap to the movements. Jesters are physical gag guys, think of Disney goofy, or Tom and Jerry. Get into the characters head, who is he? animate from there.

02 February 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread