Cross-Platform user Texture and Picture-Path

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2014
Cross-Platform user Texture and Picture-Path

Hello,

ist there a way to use a Texture or a Picture-Path in both operating Systems (Win/Mac).
I have to work with files paralell in both operating Systems. Now i have Problems with the file path. Mac use Forward slash "/" and Windows Backward Slash "\".

Ist there a solution?

Thank you

01 January 2014
2 ways spring to mind : In both cases you should have pathless textures.
Firstly, you can store all textures in the local 'tex' folder. Or you can nominate a 'master' texture folder & have everyone put their textures in there, then map that folder as a search path in Edit > Preferences > Files.
In R15, the texure manager lets you easily make the textures pathless once you've copied them into the relevant folder.

01 January 2014
Hello Decade,

thank you for your reply.

The path in the preferences is the solution.
I have set the preference-path before, but some picture-pathes are set with Xpresso and the complete path. I have now changed this - and it works.

The only Problem is now: XRefs.

Here I have to specify the complete file path!

01 January 2014
cloud

cloud.
access any texture, from anywhere on the planet.

you can lead a horse to water, but its seems difficult to make it want to drink, as in the case of cloud storage.
the cloud is the solution to a sh*it load of every day, problems, such as this. but you have to want to embrace it.

regards
Paul

01 January 2014
X-Refs by default use relative paths & are platform-agnostic at least in R15 (maybe earlier). What I mean is on default settings they work cross platform with no additional steps needed. At least, this has always been the case in my experience.

@ tapaul: I don't see what the cloud has to do with it one way or another. Its just another place to store the textures, which has nothing obvious to do with cross-platform file paths. Only difference I can think of is if you want to access the textures from multiple physical locations it could be useful.

01 January 2014
>I don't see what the cloud has to do with it one way or another.
thats what I am talking about. Its there, you just have to open your mind to it.

Tradiationally in C4D you have local texture paths. these are places where c4d will look, if it doesn't find a texture. Well we now have 2014 and cloud storage, such as dropbox (or whatever). Just put some textures in a private, cloud based folder, and add that cloud folder as a search path to all of your computers and you will never be missing a texture, ever again. If your not paranoid about security, its as simple as it gets and beats the crap out of network storage,imo, for pure simplicity and reliability. In 5 or 6 years from now, everyone will be running pretty much everything over cloud, and wondering why it all took so long to get there, and what all the fuss was about. Ever since I started using c4d, many years ago, there has been a thread or 2 every week,in various forums, about textures not being found. Its no different now than it was back then, and the cloud solves that, very easily, if you let it.

Last edited by tapaul : 01 January 2014 at 09:14 PM.

01 January 2014
Symbolic links and dropbox

I've been using dropbox and symbolic links to sync my plugins folder across 2 computers. Shouldn't be any reason that you can't do it for the texture folder or any other for that matter.

This tutorial is done in OSX but should work for windows too.
https://vimeo.com/68022275

Lastly there's environment variables you can setup within your OS to enable multiple users to access common content browser libraries. Look up the entry in the help file.

demafleez.com | twitter

01 January 2014
Originally Posted by tapaul: >I don't see what the cloud has to do with it one way or another.
thats what I am talking about. Its there, you just have to open your mind to it.

Tradiationally in C4D you have local texture paths. these are places where c4d will look, if it doesn't find a texture. Well we now have 2014 and cloud storage, such as dropbox (or whatever). Just put some textures in a private, cloud based folder, and add that cloud folder as a search path to all of your computers and you will never be missing a texture, ever again. If your not paranoid about security, its as simple as it gets and beats the crap out of network storage,imo, for pure simplicity and reliability. In 5 or 6 years from now, everyone will be running pretty much everything over cloud, and wondering why it all took so long to get there, and what all the fuss was about. Ever since I started using c4d, many years ago, there has been a thread or 2 every week,in various forums, about textures not being found. Its no different now than it was back then, and the cloud solves that, very easily, if you let it.

So it's just an example of a shared folder to put in your texture paths, except it happens to be online. I don't see that there's anything anyone has to open their minds about.

01 January 2014
There is heavy resistance to using cloud, by some large studios. I know for a fact that a lot of smaller studios have reservations about storing any project data in cloud. There are even clients that insist that project data is disconected from the the net. So Resistance is there, but for an individual or small studio, first they have to be aware that they can manage textures via cloud very well, otherwise questions would not keep being asked, such as the one that this thread is about.
Clearly there are people that are either not aware of this possibilty, or have reservations about doing it, or have just not clicked onto the potential. Instead of providing the usual local networking solution to this problem, I am suggesting, people should open up a bit, and consider that a global solution to this problem is, not only easy and cost effective, but also quite practical in daily use.

01 January 2014
Personal preferences aside there are unfortunately some severe legal restrictions that either require heavy encryption or even totally forbid the usage of cloud storage. In germany for example it is mostly illegal for a company to store customer related data on cloud storage systems hosted in the US.
Another negative point for me is connection speed. Syncing multi GB HD image sequences via Drop Box or similar can ruin your day.
In a perfect world cloud storage would be a dream come true, as it is we have to live with what is available now.

Either way this is not a solution to the topic at hand. In theory Posix paths would be a viable solutions, but over the years Apple as well as MS dropped the ball and at this time it requires a lot of effort to make these work.

01 January 2014
>Syncing multi GB HD image sequences
Nobody is talking about storing custommers data on cloud, and as a stroke of luck, 99% of the rest of the world does not fall under german law.
We are talking textures here, and doing that over an internet connection with multiGB sequences, is not so effective. For everything else, with your brain switched on, cloud is a wonderful solution, and if your not paranoid and don't have contractual issues, I would recomend cloud, for texture managment, to anyone.

01 January 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread