Aqsis or Pixie?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Aqsis or Pixie?

Has anyone used either of the open source renderman-compliant renderers Aqsis or Pixie with Cinema 4d? If so, what opinions do have about them?

05 May 2013
The Cineman renderer goes a little further than simple rib exporter and integrates AIR, and PRman but does not integrate aqsis or pixie

05 May 2013
Would these open source renderers still be usable through Cineman? If so, would the lack of integration make the experience impractical?

05 May 2013
sort of. In the file>Export menu is a rib option. You'll want to turn most options off like compile shaders make textures etc. This will give you a scene description rib (don't worry about namign it as it won't use it, it will use the name of your rendersetting not the export setting)

so you will have a scene that can be run but you still lacking most of what makes a render, geometry and camera aren't enough.

If you know renderman and how to write and compile your own shaders etc then you'll be able to use this but don't expect to simply export form C4D render and have the same picture, you'll need PRman, Air, or 3delight. 3Delight does have a single license for free and is a very capable renderer.

That said maxon also doens't actively test or support cineman much so its compatibility is waning

05 May 2013
Hello Kai
What do you think if cineman will not need(i see several posts about it)?.... i found it out-dated... i use sitex air, several things are wrong in headers of output(i know how to add or remove). Mostly i used external exporting.

Renderman or rm-compliant renderers will be soon raytaced "fully" and next 1-2 versions will appear path-tracing engines(with different boost co-engines like embree)...
Why they need for us? AR/Physical can be....

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread