Modifying vs Copying

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Modifying vs Copying

I was wondering if anyone could clear some things up for me. If you are given a really high res model, and then you retopologize and remodel it, is it considered to be not your work and hence can't be used in things like your demo reel, or is it then a piece you can say you modeled. Presuming it's a generic thing like a car, or a table, things like that. Of course this would probably be very different for characters, so wanted to try to make it clear. Thanks!

05 May 2013
I would think you would be fine showing it in reels and such (depending just how much you changed it). If someone saw a side by side of your version and the original and couldn't tell a difference or they are very similar I would say it's a no go. Regardless be sure to site the original artist as providing the foundation model that you worked off of. An even better option would be to contact the artist because who knows they might say your fine as is to show it.

05 May 2013
If you really want to, you could include it on the condition that you clearly label how and what you did. I'm sure there are some jobs where the work consists mostly of retopologizing things (preparing scan data, probably), and it might be appropriate for one of those. But on the whole, recreating and retopologizing and existing model isn't very impressive, and isn't likely to get you a job.

05 May 2013
It depends on the how your final model finishes up. I do it to a lot to Daz and Poser models. I see them as good human proportion reference but poorly made. So I dial in my requirements and retopo over the top. I liken it to using 'reference' in the same way that a person would model from reference images. To me, it is just being resourceful and getting to the end game quicker.

I guess it also depends on what kind of job you are after too. Retopoing over existing models hardly demonstrates your own ability to create.

05 May 2013
This thread reminds me a little of the one a while back where someone wondered if putting mocap on their animation reel would get them a job. My angle on it is that knowing retopology (if you really understand good edge flow for deformation) is a useful skill but not really something that will get you a lot of work since the underlying model is usually a lot more difficult to create than the retopo. To me it's almost like tracing a drawing and claiming it's your own work unless you make very clear that you only did the retopo, in which case you demonstrate some technical knowledge but not artistic skill.

The honest thing is to make it very clear what you did/didn't do. You'll get found out pretty quick once someone asks you to create something from scratch otherwise.

Cheers,
Brian

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread