Corel Painter 12- new user

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Corel Painter 12- new user

New user here with a few questions. Can someone help me out with the following?

1. I'm used to Photoshop but just began using Corel Painter 12. I'm trying to find the scratchboard tool with no luck. That seems to be the closest to what I am used to working with.

2. My most recent painting is blurry. Pretty sure it's because I'm using soft brushes at a low opacity for build up. I had a print made and it was terrible. Painter does not have the print size tab that I normally use. I paint the full image without zooming.

3. I need to find where I change a file from RGB to CMYK before beginning my paintings. Not familiar with the layout in this program.

4. I am painting with the digital airbrush and acrylics. I am blending using just add water. Any advice I can get would be really helpful. Sorry if these are stupid questions. I am about to attempt a painting of a hummingbird and would like to get this straightened out before I begin and end up with junk I cannot print. lol

Cheers to a raging headache and self learning! :o)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wishexample.jpg (55.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Meagan : 03 March 2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: forgot to include image

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Meagan: New user here with a few questions. Can someone help me out with the following?

1. I'm used to Photoshop but just began using Corel Painter 12. I'm trying to find the scratchboard tool with no luck. That seems to be the closest to what I am used to working with.

Hi Meagan,

You'll find the Scratchboard Tool in the default Painter 12 or default Painter 11 brush library, in the Pens brush category. (Both brush libraries come installed with Painter 12.)

Quote: 2. My most recent painting is blurry. Pretty sure it's because I'm using soft brushes at a low opacity for build up. I had a print made and it was terrible. Painter does not have the print size tab that I normally use. I paint the full image without zooming.

If you want to make use of the work you've already done with this painting, try using Effects menu > Focus > Sharpen.

If that's not the appropriate solution and you need to begin the painting again from scratch, take the time to experiment first until you find the best combination of brush settings and brush tracking (or brush calibration) settings.

Quote: 3. I need to find where I change a file from RGB to CMYK before beginning my paintings. Not familiar with the layout in this program.

Painter only works in RGB and I've heard that we no longer have the option to save in TIFF, PSD (and as I recall another file format) in CMYK. You can, however, save the file in PSD format, take it into another program that does work in CMYK, and resave the file. (Before doing this, though, be sure to first save the file in RIFF format in case you might want to continue working on the image later, using Painter specific information that only RIFF format can retain.)

Quote: 4. I am painting with the digital airbrush and acrylics. I am blending using just add water. Any advice I can get would be really helpful. Sorry if these are stupid questions. I am about to attempt a painting of a hummingbird and would like to get this straightened out before I begin and end up with junk I cannot print. lol

There are many ways to work in Painter to create a successful painting but, in order to help you achieve the look you want, we'll need to have more specific info, like links to paintings that contain the look (or looks) you want. Maybe some screen prints, too, of work you've done that doesn't quite meet your expectations, along with a clear explanation of what you feel is missing.[/quote]

Quote: Cheers to a raging headache and self learning! :o)

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread