Sculpting cloth seams in Mudbox

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Sculpting cloth seams in Mudbox

So I have this problem with sculpting seams in Mudbox for my shirt I'm working on (USMC Combat Shirt FROG MARPAT Desert). Whenever I drag a line, it basically creates an uneven surface (shown below). I'm using Steady Stroke to get a smooth motion, but it still doesn't cut it (no tablet). Any ideas?

And while I'm at it. How do people create stitches? Are you using stencils?

Plus, what's the average poly count when working with inside a subdivision in Mudbox? This shirt contains around 680 polys low-poly, and I have to work in subdivision level 7 (1 million polys) in order for the sculpting to not get poor quality. 680 polys to 1 million feels just so wrong...

Thanks in advance,
Gnasty

09 September 2012
I'd suggest checking the spacing of your sculpting brush, try lowering it and see if it gets rid of the 'gapping' problem in the drawn line.

Also, 1 million seems low. If you're going for a lot of high detail, 8 million or more is what I usually use (and that's not even for sculpting as high detail as some people do).

Are you looking to turn this into a normals map for your low poly mesh?

09 September 2012
Thanks, will look into the spacing!

Hmm... perhaps it is 11 million polys then. Because if I turn on wireframe, I see nothing but a black model filled with edges (when zoomed out a little).

I am turning this into a normal map for my low poly. Or well, it's going to be a high-poly model, but not at 11 million.

09 September 2012
The most important thing is to make sure your lowest level mesh has quads as evenly spaced and square as possible. If you have long, rectangular quads then the mesh will subdivide unevenly and cause artifacts as it divides up through the levels.

Also, 640 faces will multiply by 4 when sub-D'ed. By 4...by 4.... 7 levels = 10,485,760 faces

This comes back to the topology of your lowest level as I mentioned above. Sometimes it dosn't matter how many times you divide: if the level 1 topo is bad(in sculpting topo terms) then this will always propagate up through your levels.

Zbrush has many,many,many,many,many ways to deal with this.... but unfortunately you're using mudbox.

Last edited by musashidan : 09 September 2012 at 07:20 PM.

09 September 2012
I've actually used the human body model included in Mudbox and then deleted the head and lower body in Max. Made some small adjustments to make it like a shirt afterwards. So I don't think the mesh has anything to do with it.

I think I need to consider using ZBrush instead, mainly because the support is much wider for it. It's just that the UI is horrible and you don't seem to be able to go window mode.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Gnasty:
I think I need to consider using ZBrush instead, mainly because the support is much wider for it. It's just that the UI is horrible and you don't seem to be able to go window mode.

what do you mean by window mode? As for the ZB UI. It's actually quite brilliant once you leave your traditional '3D app' mindset at the door on the way in. It does take a little getting used to but once you do you'll find yourself immersed in the most innovative piece of software there is.
It has left Mudbox(which i consider a 'barebones' sculpt>paint>bake app) in the dust with the last few releases.

Plus, you mentioned you're using a mouse. A tablet is a MUST. The difference is immeasurable.

Back to your OP. could you show the lowest level wire as it's still unusual that you're getting such artifacting at 11mio polys with evenly-quaded topo?

09 September 2012
Hm... Might as well get ZBrush then. That way I'll get more supported help as well. Thanks!

So yeah, I'm using a mouse, but I do have an old Wacom Tablet Intuos3. It feels and acts a bit old, so I should perhaps consider buying an Intuos5. But first I need to get used to tablets in general!

I will show you the wire once I get home in like 5-6 hours!

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread