Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ken Henderson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ken Henderson

Ken Henderson has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: "Tomorrow's End"

Here it is!

Thanks to everyone that helped and supported me through all of this. Hope you like it!

I must sleep noooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

12 December 2004
Hi,
I discover your work difficult all to see there is much
participant, your work is interesting and the design are very good,
good road for the continuation.

12 December 2004
Smashing! Somehow though when looking at it the word "dentist" pops in my head.
That to show how menacing it looks :]

12 December 2004
Great start, looking forward to more updates. Do you have a story established yet?

12 December 2004
Tranchefeux:

Yup... it can be a little daunting to try and find peoples specific entries with all the great work going on. It's fun searching though, lots to be inspired from. Thanks for the comments!

Ganthu:

Giant Alien warships descending down on a planet to disrupt its natural seismic patterns with massive weaponry reminds you of the dentist? Yeesh... no wonder that profession has one of the highest suicide rates; they must have left some emotional scars on you Ganthu! I'd try and use that pain and suffering in your Opera Challenge piece... if you can achieve that you'll be set!

AirbORn:

Thanks for the comments! As far as story goes... well, I haven't named the planet, the races or any of the ships (or titled my entry for that matter) but... The basic story line is that one race is being attacked by another in what I'm sure is the culmination of many centuries of warfare between theses worlds. This scene is a depiction of the final battle for planet (TBD) as they muster all of their forces to try to stop this new lethal threat to their existence. These Seismic disruptor weapons from (TBD) are heavily fortified, almost like aircraft carriers. Their smaller fighters will be quelling any resistance as the larger machine focuses on its task.

This image will depict that battle, with planetary defense troops jumping into their fighters to engage both the enemy squadrons and the seismic disruptor gun-ships.

My next mock-up / sketch will show this a little clearer.

Thanks for asking!

12 December 2004
Thumbs up Wouldnt you like to fly

Great Idea for the photo referencing there mate, ships are lookin snazzy to.

12 December 2004
Nice! I am not sure why wolud aliens shot at mountain but it looks interesting indeed I think that distant cityscape could give Your composition a punch. I like Your fighter ship. I think taht changing daytime to dask is good idea. Looking forward to next update!

12 December 2004
I'm affraid that this tample add stands from the rest of the image. It seems to be lightened in different way. I suggest changing colour balance a little bit to fit bluish bacground better.

12 December 2004
KaleN;

Yah, it doesn't really fit in but, it's just a composition sketch... no colours are set, not even sure if I'm going with the blue BG or not.

That being said I have modified the composition and will be posting a revised layout in a day or so. This one is just too convoluted, too much space and detail to make up... too straightforward.

The new composition is much more dynamic, more involved in the moment and I hope it's my final take on this idea.

We'll see..

Thanks for looking!

01 January 2005
That's looking really nice. I like the design of the architecture, sort of Cthulhulian. The painting and colors are looking good too - the only issue I have is that at first when I looked at your most recent update, it was hard to tell if I was looking *up* at a wall or *down* at a floor plane?

Oops, I just read some of the other comments and see that this has been pointed out...

Well at any rate, it is a nice piece so far!

01 January 2005
The perspective is brilliant here-- it really ads to the drama of the moment. I'd like to see a little more stylistic consistancies. Certain areas, like the smoke from the blast, seem far more realistic than other areas. I'm sure this will be worked out further as the image progresses.

01 January 2005
francis001:

Thanks for the crit! No worries about pointing out the orientation issues with the piece. It's good to hear. What I have to do (other than what I've pointed out before in regards to this issue) is ensure that the sky looks like the sky and I think that'll mean brightening up the moon etc. Hopefully this issue will be resolved with the changes I make this week.

Cicinimo:

Thanks for your thoughts on this! I was waiting for someone to bring this up. I'll definitely be painting over the drawn lines to give the entire piece that painted consistency that you're talking about. I agree that it's very important for this image to be successful. In regards to the perspective - thanks - I really struggled at first to find the right camera for this image but I'm happy with it now, I'm glad you feel the same way.

--

I appreciate the feedback, looking forward to your thoughts on my upcoming progress!

Thanks for looking...

01 January 2005
Hello,
nice work. I especially appreciate the outlined style. It makes me think about Alphons Mucha.
Maybe you can add more dynamic in your picture by drawing some "curved smoky trails" from the propellers...
And sorry for my terrible english.

01 January 2005
something nice is going on here...keep it up!

Visit my online portfolio

01 January 2005
spacesnail:

Thanks for the comments. I'm a big fan of the outlined work as well... but, they'll be going away once I dive into polishing the piece. Sorry... I just don't want this to be in that graphic style. Hopefully you'll still like it when I've finished.

I'll see about modifying the thruster trails for the ships... those were just place holders.

Atmospheria:

Thanks!

---

Thanks for looking you two!

Thread Closed share thread